hard drive status icon is flashing for frugal install

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

hard drive status icon is flashing for frugal install

#1 Post by nubc »

I'm not that familiar with frugal installs, and likely this issue arises from that lack. I have been downloading CD-sized files and I notice that the 2,0 GB personal storage drive icon is red and flashing, indicating there is 0 MB free space. I have also noted that several downloads have been extremely slow, like 2 or 3 hours for 700 MB with a cable connection, and also prone to download failure/interruption. There are no large files on the frugal install. I am downloading to another drive that has plenty of space.What's the problem? What am I not doing right? How big should my savefile be? How do I increase the size of the savefile? Recommended size? Why is it necessary to increase the size of the savefile? Is it storing OS snapshots? Would this problem go away if I reboot?

Slacko 5.7, 4GB ram, 2T hdd

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

I doubled the size of the savefile to 4 GB with the utility provided by Puppy, but the download is still very slow. How did 2 GB personal storage get consumed? Surely, Firefox cache can't account for this much space. I seem to recall this is a common problem, the savefile's size creep. I'm sure I have been operating with the flashing red personal storage icon for some time now. How has the system been doing things under such a circumstance? I've seen some regular freezing, but I just kept going, for at a least a week or two. Can't recall having seen that icon colored green for a long, long time.

r__hughes

#3 Post by r__hughes »

Savefile memory can quickly be lost If a large download is accidentally saved to a location inside the savefile. Best thing is to save to a specified outside download directory.

In Slacko5.7 frugal you can easily check if there are any very large 'rogue' files in the savefile. Use Menu/Filesystem/ Gdmap
and open /root to start with. Open /filesystem to look at other locations you may suspect.

Good Luck
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

I am downloading to another drive
Is this drive mounted before you start the download?
Is it connected by USB?

To understand.
You are downloading using Firefox?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

Yes, downloading with FF 45.0.2

In this case the download destination drive is another large SATA hdd connected to the internal motherboard, and it's mounted. In other cases the destination drive may be the much larger partition on the same SATA hdd as the OS. The OS partition sda1 is 20 GB in size, compared to the overall 2 TB size of the hdd. After doubling the size of the Slacko 5.7 frugal savefile to 4 GB, I still have 12.8 GB (64%) free space on the 20-GB partition sda1.

Ah, using Gdmap (actually ROX filer) I did find a large file in the root directory, Remix_OS.zip file, 637 MB. After moving this file to another drive, I've got plenty of space now.

massasauga

This also happens with bootable usb stick

#6 Post by massasauga »

I'm using Puppy thar on an 8GB usb stick. I've noticed that the save file space (personal space) gradually grows to fill what is allocated as described in previous posts.

I solved the problem by going into my browsers and clicking
Help>Troubleshooting Information>Reset Pale Moon and
Help>Troubleshooting Information>Refresh Firefox...

Then I click the save icon on the desktop and some save file space gets recovered (icon turns green again).

The caveat is that some of your browser settings get lost, especially with Pale Moon. Next time I will just try clearing browser history and see if saving to the save file still works. I don't understand why browser history and cookies, etc should grow to take up a GB, but apparently that is what's happening.

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Cache is more likely.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

massasauga

#8 Post by massasauga »

Burn_IT wrote:Cache is more likely.
Come to think of it, that makes more sense. Cache should take up more space in the save file. So next time I want to make my save file space more compact, I will try deleting cache and maybe history, especially from Pale Moon rather than resetting Pale Moon to factory defaults.

Thanks!