Connect Xenial pup at the Library and McDonalds?

Booting, installing, newbie
Chirpz

#1 Post by Chirpz »

I'm new to Xenial Puppy. I'm running full install on an Acer Travelmate 2300 with Pentium M processor, 2 gigs of Ram, 100 gig HD. Wifi Card is Intel WM3B2100 that I robbed from an old Toshiba.

At home, I can connect to wifi no problem. If I go to McDonalds, I cannot connect. The network shows in Frisbee, but will not connect. Oddly, it DOES connect easily to the Bank that is 75 yards away. Also, if I go to the Library, I cannot connect. Again, their wifi shows in Frisbee and does not require a password...but it will not connect.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Are you sure your library does not require a password to use their wifi? Mine does. Have you asked at your library? They're usually very willing to help, if not very knowledgeable. How about McDonald's, have you asked there?

oldaolgeezer

Connect Xenial pup at the Library and McDonalds

#3 Post by oldaolgeezer »

Hi Chirpz

If you have been experiencing the same issue I had, I have a possible solution for you.

I found that at McDonalds and most hotels, after you have chosen their free WIFI and gotten an IP address,
you still have to "connect" to that company's "validating" or "hello" website.

Once you have clicked on "get connected" or "I accept" on their "validating" or "hello" website,
you can switch back to your original browser tab reload it and it will work (then I usually close the tab for the "validating" or "hello" website.)

(HTTPS websites, like google.com and many others, are secure protocol sites and cannot be redirected to the McDonalds or most hotel login page(s).)

Thus, if your browser's home page is an HTTPS page, you will need to type in a non-HTTPS page in order to be redirected to their web page.

What I do is open a new tab in my browser and in that URL window, type "bbc.com" (or, I think, "apple.com") (but without the quote characters.)

see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4507909

I have found this technique works for me on both my laptop and smart phones, too.

Hope this helps.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

I agree fully with oldaolgeezer, one needs a non-https site, like puppy-forum, ahem. This works well. Once accepted, I usually close the browser, then restart. Thats just me.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Chirpz

#5 Post by Chirpz »

Flash wrote:Are you sure your library does not require a password to use their wifi? Mine does. Have you asked at your library? They're usually very willing to help, if not very knowledgeable. How about McDonald's, have you asked there?
I did ask in both places. NO password is required. At McDonalds, they do have a sign in page that never came up. The sign in page for the bank did come up with no problems.

I can see the Library and McD's network in the list of available nets, but when you try to connect, it doesn't....there is a long pause, then the list comes back.

Chirpz

#6 Post by Chirpz »

8Geee wrote:I agree fully with oldaolgeezer, one needs a non-https site, like puppy-forum, ahem. This works well. Once accepted, I usually close the browser, then restart. Thats just me.

Regards
8Geee
I was watching for a sign in page...however my browser is set to Google. Before trying to connect, I opened the browser and let it give the no connection message...then tried to connect.

When trying to connect, it would never give the message about obtaining an IP address.... or if it did, it was very brief... then I would be the eth1 is down message.

I will give it another try for sure. Especially the bbc.com part or something like it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Please let us know what you tried, even if it doesn't work. :)

Chirpz

#8 Post by Chirpz »

Flash wrote:Please let us know what you tried, even if it doesn't work. :)
Will do... I may get to try it tomorrow.

Chirpz

#9 Post by Chirpz »

Flash wrote:Please let us know what you tried, even if it doesn't work. :)
OK... I went to the Library today and tried to log into their network. When I select the network in the chooser, the little icon starts spinning as if it is trying to connect. But it never does. Finally it stops spinning. Try again.

WHILE it was spinning, I started up my browser and put in bcc.com as a destination.... no results

I also tried setting http://www.bcc.com as the home location in the preferences.... no results.

So... I logged in using my iPhone and immediately got the log in page... I observed the address bar and found 1.101.0.1/reg.php Phone had no problem.

I tried that address using both methods.... no results

Lastly, I left off the reg.php and tried that.... no results.

Next, I rebooted to an OLD version of Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) and tried all of the above.... same results. FF works great at home.

OH next, I dug out my Macbook Air (it runs MX-Linux 18) and tried it.... no trouble at all. But it is a modern i5 processor vintage 2011.

I am beginning to think that my old wifi card simply does not like this network. It has NO trouble at home, and NO trouble at the bank....but nothing doing at the Library or McDonalds. By the way, the bank has a login page that comes up automatically.

What do you think?

Oh! I tried 7.04 because the only thing I can get to run on this laptop is Puppy, and Feisty.... it is non-pae and not even Bohdi will run on it.

peterw

Address issue

#10 Post by peterw »

Just to point out that you first tried to go http://www.bcc.com and not bbc.com
as mentioned.
No idea if that is a problem.

I wonder if those sites only accept some browsers and need current versions?

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

if I go to the Library, I cannot connect. Again, their wifi shows in Frisbee and does not require a password...but it will not connect.
Frisbee does a lot of things automatically.
If the library does not require a password.
I wonder if Frisbee is trying to connect using a setup that needs a password. :idea:
Example:
WPA2 encryption

Try using the Network Wizard
Everything you do in it is manual inputs by you.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Chirpz

#12 Post by Chirpz »

bigpup wrote:
if I go to the Library, I cannot connect. Again, their wifi shows in Frisbee and does not require a password...but it will not connect.
Frisbee does a lot of things automatically.
If the library does not require a password.
I wonder if Frisbee is trying to connect using a setup that needs a password. :idea:
Example:
WPA2 encryption

Try using the Network Wizard
Everything you do in it is manual inputs by you.
Thanks for the ideas.... the library does not require a password but does have a log in page. No go at the library. But, the bank also does not have a password and does have a login page.... but it works fine there.

oldaolgeezer

#13 Post by oldaolgeezer »

Hi Chirpz:

I realize that asking you to do additional tests requires you to bring your laptop to a library or store.

But you might be able to answer a few of my questions from your memory before trying another test.

I might ask when you said " ... went to the Library today and tried to log into their
network. When I select the network in the chooser, the little icon starts spinning ..."

It might help if you told me what is the title displayed at the top
of the "chooser" window that has the spinning icon ?

I'm thinking that your "chooser" window might have one of these titles:
SNS - Barry's Simple Network Setup
or Frisbee 1.4.6 - Configure Networks
or Puppy Network Wizard
or maybe something else ..... ?

After the IP address should have been displayed .....
In your next sentence, you said ".... WHILE it was spinning, I started up my browser and put in bcc.com .... "

I meant that the characters: bbc.com get typed in a new tab on the top left of your screen
in your browser's URL field (I did not mean it to be typed on the top right of your screen
in your browser's search field.)

The unencrypted website named bbc.com (with no https:// (nor //'s nor www. in its name )
permits your browser and the store or library with the WIFI to redirect your
browser to display their own special web page (that you did not really ask for.)
Since I am a poor typist, I like to use the short simple name: bbc.com !
(It is a real website owned by the British Broadcasting Corporation, I understand
that apple.com will work also, but it is a longer name for me to type !)

Chirpz

Re: Connect Xenial pup at the Library and McDonalds?

#14 Post by Chirpz »

oldaolgeezer wrote:Hi Chirpz:

I realize that asking you to do additional tests requires you to bring your laptop to a library or store.

But you might be able to answer a few of my questions from your memory before trying another test.

I might ask when you said " ... went to the Library today and tried to log into their
network. When I select the network in the chooser, the little icon starts spinning ..."

It might help if you told me what is the title displayed at the top
of the "chooser" window that has the spinning icon ?

I'm thinking that your "chooser" window might have one of these titles:
SNS - Barry's Simple Network Setup
or Frisbee 1.4.6 - Configure Networks
or Puppy Network Wizard
or maybe something else ..... ?

After the IP address should have been displayed .....
In your next sentence, you said ".... WHILE it was spinning, I started up my browser and put in bcc.com .... "

I meant that the characters: bbc.com get typed in a new tab on the top left of your screen
in your browser's URL field (I did not mean it to be typed on the top right of your screen
in your browser's search field.)

The unencrypted website named bbc.com (with no https:// (nor //'s nor www. in its name )
permits your browser and the store or library with the WIFI to redirect your
browser to display their own special web page (that you did not really ask for.)
Since I am a poor typist, I like to use the short simple name: bbc.com !
(It is a real website owned by the British Broadcasting Corporation, I understand
that apple.com will work also, but it is a longer name for me to type !)
Sorry for slow reply...been busy. I actually tried all possibilities (I think). Spent about an hour. I tried the bbc.com, and also http://www.bbc.com. Never used the "s". I tried putting it the URL address bar, Tried it in the search slot, and I tried making it the default home page. Nada.... also tried another non-encrypted site just because.

I tried Barry's and Frisbee to connect but seemed to always come back to frisbee. Didn't seem to matter. No method worked.

I tried connecting using my iphone... no problems. Then tried using my Macbook Air (Running on MX-Linux 18) and no problems there either.

I am guessing that maybe their network is just not compatible with the old netcard in this computer. Especially since it did the exact same thing when I booted up in Ubuntu 7.04 which also connects easily at home and at the bank...but not at the library. The computer is set up to dual boot, puppy or fiesty.

rockedge

#15 Post by rockedge »

I have older wifi cards that can not connect to a router through WPA2 or some other newer encryption methods. At home I can set my router to WEP which will work with the older cards. Set to WPA2 and the card can see it in a scan but not connect.

Chirpz

#16 Post by Chirpz »

rockedge wrote:I have older wifi cards that can not connect to a router through WPA2 or some other newer encryption methods. At home I can set my router to WEP which will work with the older cards. Set to WPA2 and the card can see it in a scan but not connect.
I think you spelled out the problem!

oldaolgeezer

#17 Post by oldaolgeezer »

Hi Chirpz and rockedge:

It looks like Chirpz's Intel Pro Wireless 2100 Mini PCI card is 802.11b only:
from this FCC document: https://fccid.io/PD9WM3B2100/User-Manua ... nes-300330

And from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
" .... in an 802.11g network, however, activity of an 802.11b participant
will reduce the data rate of the overall 802.11g network. "

also: https://www.howtogeek.com/210062/how-80 ... -about-it/

To avoid this slow down to accommodate the rare case of a 802.11b only laptop,
I'm thinking McDonalds and libraries may have set their routers to allow 802.11g WIFI only.
(Thus your card can scan the WIFI SSID network names but you are refused a connection.)

Other Puppy forum readers will suggest newer Mini PCI WIFI cards for your
laptop (that work for their laptops.)

(An example of an old but 802.11g capable Mini PCI WIFI card is
a DELL 0K3444 Intel WM3A2200BG which is 802.11B/G)

(some of these older Mini PCI WIFI cards like a DELL 0K3444 Intel WM3A2200BG card
are available for about $ 5. on ebay with free shipping in USA.
I tested a DELL 0K3444 Intel WM3A2200BG card with encryption: WPA2 802.11g 2.4 GHz
with Puppy LUCID 5.2.8.6 at home.)

(These older Mini PCI WIFI cards have their slot near the left end of the gold contacts.
Newer type cards: Mini PCI-Express (PCIE), will not be able to plug into your laptop,
have their slot near the middle of the gold contacts.)

Hope this helps.

Chirpz

#18 Post by Chirpz »

Thanks for all the info guys. This confirms what I suspected.