USB mouse compatability

Booting, installing, newbie
Barkingmad

USB mouse compatability

#1 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello
Real daft question here.

Will Puppies Lupu and onward be OK with a USB mouse rather than using the old-style 'mouse port'? While I'm here, what about the cordless ones with a little USB mounted and powered reciever?

Just checking before buying:-)

Will

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

I have used a cabled USB mouse with Lupu 5.2.8.7 and newer, no problem. How the cordless versions work, I don't know.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Barkingmad:-

No; the only daft question is the one you don't ask (and then later on, wish you had!) Will, you shouldn't have any problem at all with a USB wireless mouse. I have a collection of several wireless mice (7 or 8, I think; what can I say? I'm a hardware whore..! :lol:), and every single one of them works fine with every version of Puppy I'm running.....and these range from 431 right through to UPup Bionic.

They're covered by the USB PnP driver that's been a part of the kernel for a very long time. Literally, plug & play. Plug the little receiver in, switch the mouse on (usually, a small switch somewhere on the base), and just use it. Makes a hell of a difference not having a lead to get in the way; in my bedroom, where my main rig is situated, I tend to use it on the bedcover beside me, rather than reach across to the desktop. Much more comfortable!

Batteries typically last for a year or longer, with normal daily use.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

I too use wireless USB mouse.
Using one now.

Only thing I will add. Make sure you actually plug the signal transmitter into a full feature USB port.
My computer has one USB port that is for providing power only. That one will not work for this.
It is there to use to charge a phone, etc...... and provides full power output.

Good idea to use a USB 2 or 3 port.
All wireless USB mice should be designed for those.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)