How do you include images in posts (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
tem2

How do you include images in posts (Solved)

#1 Post by tem2 »

I see that some posts have images embedded with the text. I've looked for a procedure that details how to do this, but I cannot find anything. I'm guessing you have to upload a file to a server somewhere and point to it somehow. Any help will be met with gratitude.
Last edited by tem2 on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 15:53, edited 2 times in total.

puppyluvr

#2 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Upload the image to a website of your choice, (ie tinypic etc) copy the URL it gives you, paste it into your post here, highlight the address, and click the image button above.
You can use the preview button to view it before posting...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tem2:-

Ha! He's been with us less than a week, and already wants to know how all the 'eye-candy' is achieved. A man after my own heart; I like it, I like it..!! :D

Well, Puppyluvr gives you the basic idea above....

I used to use Imgur, until their front-page overhaul went on for so long that I got fed up waiting for it to start working again, and switched to PostImage instead. I won't use Imgur again, either; the whole thing's been re-geared for Facebook & Twitter. Urrgh! Basically:-

~Take your image with a screenshot tool of your choice
~ Upload that image to an image hosting site
~ Then, choose the type of image link you want (usually, a direct link of some kind); needs experimenting with to some extent, since most sites have slightly different ways of doing this
~ When posting, usually it's best to leave a couple of lines either side of where you want your image link to show
~ Once pasted in place, highlight the link, and for images, use the [img] tags

You can also use this same trick for displaying animated GIFs, too. There are several screencast tools available for Puppy, with which you can take short screen activity video clips.....a good way to illustrate specific actions, or points that you want to get across. Most will allow either full-screen, or a user-defined area.

--------------------------------------------

Fredx181 has produced a small, standalone app which will turn a short video clip into a GIF image, which can loop endlessly in place. Originally published, along with dependencies, as a set of small individual .deb packages, I've taken the lot and combined them all together into one, single-click, easy-to-install .pet package.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXA0Is ... sp=sharing

Same procedure, once created; upload, copy the link URL for your GIF, paste into your message when posting, and use the [img] tags. It's a slightly more manual approach than with some other site's forum software - remember, I explained to you via PM how old the Forum software is! - but once you know what you're doing, you can achieve exactly the same sort of effects..

The only thing I haven't yet sussed-out is how to 'embed' a YouTube video into a post, the way some other forums can.....

I'll figure it out eventually!

Mike. :wink:

tem2

#4 Post by tem2 »

Thanks everybody!