How to use USB wifi in Slacko Puppy 6.3.2?

Using applications, configuring, problems
GeorgeGG

How to use USB wifi in Slacko Puppy 6.3.2?

#1 Post by GeorgeGG »

I am a Linux Ignoramus, but I can follow directions! I installed slacko puppy 6.3.2. My WiFi is a USB interface. Puppy has no native driver for it. However, the CD came with device has Linux drivers on it. CD drive is mounted, can view files. USB ports are live.

Questions:
1) How do I copy drivers from the CD?
2) Where do I copy them to?
3) Then, how to install the drivers. Will they appear in the module list?
3) Or..... any clear directions would be most appreciated!

See attached pic. Thank you,
George
Attachments
1s.jpg
Top portion is shot of CD files
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I installed slacko puppy 6.3.2
How is it installed?
Frugal or full?
Installed on what drive?

On the CD from Realtek.
Click on that Linux directory.
Post an image of what is in it.
Need to see what it is providing and how.

Menu->System->Pup-Sysinfo->Devices->USB Devices->Summary
If the USB wifi adapter is listed.
Post the information about it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

GeorgeGG

Need WLAn driver for Slacko 6.3.0

#3 Post by GeorgeGG »

FULL installation to HDD to sda3. (sda1 & 2 are Win 7-32).
Attachments
f11x.jpg
(211.82 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

GeorgeGG

The USB device details

#4 Post by GeorgeGG »

VenderID=Obda ProductID+c811 Rev=02.00
Manufacturer=Realtek Product=802.11ac NIC
SerialNumber=123456

I sure appreciate your assistance.
Attachments
ID2.jpg
(238.87 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

zagreb999

#5 Post by zagreb999 »

hi GeorgeGG
for me slacko 632 works perfectly
with usb dongle wifi tele2...

gprs to be used!

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

Howdy GeorgeGG,
Welcome to the forum!

I attempted to compile the driver for your dongle. Give her a try and report back as I had no way to test this thing.
Download at this link, it is about 700k
link removed unless it turns out this d ... s intended

This driver was compiled using the source from https://github.com/RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver
The devx and kernel sources were needed for compiling.
I used this source because it matched the name of the sources directory on the CD the OP received with the realtek device but these sources may be incorrect.

Last edited by perdido on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi GeorgeCC,

Some prior searching and this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 91#1008591, leads me to believe the your USB-wifi dongle needs a rtl8812au_??? driver. Drivers, however, are kernel specific. (kernels are sort-of-like the engines for Linux operating systems: almost everything else about how your operating system connects to your hardware depends on what 'engine' you have).

And while you've identified your Puppy as Slacko 6.3.2, there are, in fact, two Puppies with that name: one is a 32-bit and the other a 64-bit. Consequently, one would require a 32-bit driver, the other a 64-bit driver.

Would you kindly run Menu>System>PupSysInfo again and click the Sys-Specs Tab, then select Base Report. Scroll down to where it reports "Linux Kernel". That will probably indicate not only which kernel but also whether it is the 32-or-64 bit version: the latter will have 64 in its name. And if there's any doubt, slightly below that information will be an identification of the specific "Distro".

[PupSysInfo's other tabs and selections provides more specific information quicker. But when you're searching for several bits of information the Base Report often is the quickest.]

GeorgeGG

Kernel 3.15.55 (i686)

#8 Post by GeorgeGG »

Thanks mikeslr. 32-bit, I assume. The CPU is Celeron. See attached.

perdido..... I will download your driver. Thank you.
Attachments
k.jpg
(234.42 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

GeorgeGG

Install failure

#9 Post by GeorgeGG »

perdido, I tried the install but received this rather vague but emphatic message. Brought it over on a thumb drive and double clicked it.
Attachments
not.jpg
(123.8 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

perdido

Re: Install failure

#10 Post by perdido »

GeorgeGG wrote:perdido, I tried the install but received this rather vague but emphatic message. Brought it over on a thumb drive and double clicked it.
Pet name got changed. The name needs to be rtl88x2bu-k3.14.55.pet exactly.
I bet your system changed it while copying.
Easy fix is just to rename it back :)

Same name that the pet file is named in the download link.

mikeslr

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again, GeorgeGG:

I wouldn't have submitted my prior post had I known that perdido had figured out what kernel was involved while I was typing. But, at least you got to try PupSysInfo which is an invaluable --and uniquely Puppy-- tool for discovering what's going on in "the black box".

Linux is very particular about the symbols used in a name: an "a" is different than an "A"; and so on. Windows, not so much and often 'screws things up' from a Linux prospective. At any rate, rtl88x~1 is not the same name as rtl88x-1

GeorgeGG

File name change = failure

#12 Post by GeorgeGG »

Thanks for this hand-holding. Much appreciated. I can have another go at it just a bit later today... in about an hour.

GeorgeGG

Cannot get name strait

#13 Post by GeorgeGG »

You are correct re the way window changes the name. I copied the mis-named PET file to Puppy desktop and renamed it, but that didn't work. It seems that renaming it (the way a Windows guy would) breaks it. No longer recognized as an installable PET file, even though it appears to have the .pet extension following the correct file name "rtl88x2bu-k3.14.55". It LOOKS like rtl88x2bu-k3.14.55.pet on the Puppy desktop, but apparently isn't(?).

GeorgeGG

ETHERNET!!!

#14 Post by GeorgeGG »

What I will do next is get Puppy online via Ethernet cable and then download the driver PET file from within Puppy. That ought to get around the Windows naming issue.

mikeslr

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again GeorgeGG,

That should work. But if it doesn't there's another way. Every operating system has to have a way to install applications. Windows knows what to do with .msi and setup.exes. I don't. But running any Linux, all installation applications and the packages they use are similar. What the installation application does is decompress [in Random Access Memory] the package (in Puppies, that what a .pet is) and then copy the files from the decompressed package to their proper places in the Linux file system.

Rox is Puppy's standard File-Manager. When you first install a Puppy, rox's desktop launcher (usually named Home or Files) usually appears at the Top-Left of the desktop. Rox can also be started from Menu>File-systems. At any rate, you can start one instance of rox. It usually opens to /root. The Up-Arrow will take you up a level: Left-Clicking a folder will take you 'into' it. Once you locate the rtl88x2bu-k3.14.55.pet Right-Click it and from the pop-up menu select UExtract. An extraction folder will be created. File-browse into it. Eventually you would find the driver named 88x2bu.ko. The first couple of steps will have taken you into the lib, then the modules folders.

lib is the standard location for "libraries" and "modules" a specific class of libraries within the lib folder. So, backtrack until you see the modules folder as a folder.

Open a second Rox Window. Click the Up-Arrow until you see the lib folder as a folder. Your view should look something like the attached -- but it was taken of a 64-bit system so you probably won't have all the folders it shows.

Left-PRESS, Hold, then drag the modules folder from the extraction window onto the lib folder on you system and select copy from pop-up window. The system will recognize that you already have a 'modules' folder on it and ask if you want to merge them. Select yes/ok whenever asked.

The pet includes another file named pinstall.sh. If you were able to install the pet by clicking it, that pinstall.sh would have displayed a message telling you to "Reboot now".

You mentioned that you did a Full Install. But, if you didn't, when you initiate a Reboot you may be asked if you want to do a Save. If asked, select "yes."

By the way, perdido, doesn't GeorgeGG also need a firmware library? I don't have his Slacko so can't check to see if it is already 'built-in'.
Attachments
Top-level-64BitOs.png
Top Level of Linux 64-bit File System
(21.28 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

GeorgeGG

Install failed, but here is another optional WLAN

#16 Post by GeorgeGG »

Last edited by GeorgeGG on Fri 07 Feb 2020, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeGG

#17 Post by GeorgeGG »

Thank you mikeslr. I will read and your post here and attempt. In the meantime, I had begun to type another reply, it is below. Wife insisting we take a walk, so off I go. btw, it is full install but was not prompted to save anything on exit........................

I Etherneted in and downoaded perdido's PET file. It successfully installed. Rebooted, USB WLAN not loaded. Looked in available modules, it is not in list. Re-executed the install, no change (except it said "already installed").

Plan B, if someone would be so kind: there is an onboard WLAN card, Acer IPN2220, that works fine in Windows. I had read on several blogs that there are no Linux drivers for it, and so the Windows driver would need to get "wrapped" in Linux. I searched a bit but still am inept! Attached is info regarding this WLAN as seen in Windows 7-32. Could someone "wrap" the WIN driver for me? I'd just love to get this "puppy" working"! Then begin my Linux education in earnest.
Attachments
OnBoard.jpg
(236.76 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

mikeslr

Drivers are the curse of Linux

#18 Post by mikeslr »

I searched for posts about the IPN2220 wireless lan card. I found posts about attempts to build ndiswrappers. I didn't find any which were successful.

Borrowing a term from the automobile market, Linux is an after-market product. Manufacturers build personal computers to run Windows, Macs and now (Chromebooks) Android. The hardware they put into them is determined by which of those operating systems they built them for and economics -- price, performance and reputation of the hardware component to be included.

Linux devs not only have to compile the kernel=engine, but also all the drivers needed by that kernel to communicate with the hardware components of each computer on which that Linux operating system is to run. And, as I mentioned, drivers are kernel-specific. Considering that there are tens of thousands of possible drivers involved, the Linux Devs do a pretty thorough job. But not perfect. Their efforts are restrained by practicalities. Every year hundreds of new hardware components become available offering greater performance than older components; and every year several new kernels are developed in an attempt to keep pace with hardware developments and security concerns. Compiling drivers for older hardware, probably no longer or rarely used, components 'gets dropped'.

The easiest way to obtain working wifi for an old computer is to acquire a USB-wifi Dongle known to work with Linux. This thread, especially from this post onward, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 063#814063 may help you identify one.

But, before you go out and spend your hard-earned money, maybe try xenialpup, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 178#899178 or bionicpup, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 997#989997. Neither may include the wifi driver you need. But a search of pkgs.org, for the https://pkgs.org/download/rtl8812 revealed available drivers for both xenial and bionic 32-bit operating systems using the 'stock' kernel. Puppies were build using those. The packages you download from pkgs.org are 'debs'. Puppies will install them just as if they were pets. No guarantees this will work.

By the way, you did a "Full install". Puppies work best as Frugal Installs: same operating system, just packaged differently. If your computer can boot from a USB-port, you can use your current Puppy to Frugally deploy any other Puppy to a USB-Key (or a hard-drive). Ask how and why to do a frugal install (rather than a Full). Or use the following dedicated google search engine, http://wellminded.net63.net/ for the many posts about those subjects.

Follow up: This post identifies a "Belkin 54G" wifi adapter working with the Travelmate 2200. https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=38063. Not a clear identification, but I think what is actually meant is the Belkin 54g (f5d7050), http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 719#176719. It's currently available on ebay for as little as $1.50, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

perdido

#19 Post by perdido »

mikeslr wrote:Hi again GeorgeGG,

By the way, perdido, doesn't GeorgeGG also need a firmware library? I don't have his Slacko so can't check to see if it is already 'built-in'.
There is a good chance that the firmware is not built-into the Slacko 6.3.2
I earlier tried to locate exact firmware for 0bda:c811 but found that there are a few different devices from realtek that use that identity and I never got any firmware identified. You also probably saw rtl8812au/rtl8811au mentioned when you referenced that other thread, I was tempted to try those same sources first but decided to try the sources that name-matched exactly what GeorgeGG posted as sources directory of his CD he received with the dongle.

Gyro posted in his firmware thread on how to try to get info about missing firmware, open the terminal and run

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep 'firmware'
Gyro wrote
1) I found I had a problem when I got some output from the console command:
Code:
# dmesg | grep 'firmware'
2) If you are lucky, the output from "dmesg" will also tell you the name of the firmware that failed to load.
In my case it didn't so I had to make a guess based on it being identified as an "RTL8168g".
3) Open the repository in a browser and find the required firmware file and download it. In my case I found 3 likely files in 'rtl_nic/'; 'rtl8168g-1.fw', 'rtl8168g-2.fw' and 'rtl8168g-3.fw', so I downloaded all 3.
4) Copy the downloaded firmware file to '/lib/firmware', making sure that you put it in any corresponding sub-directory. Since the file I was trying 'rtl8168g-3.fw' was contained in the 'rtl_nic' subdirectory of the repository, I copied it to '/lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw'.
5) Reboot and see if "dmesg" is now clean. In my case it wasn't so I tried again with 'rtl8168g-2.fw'. And that worked.
I was hoping that since pupsysinfo had identified the hardware that the firmware had been loaded - so trying what Gyro mentions is worth a shot to attempt to identify missing firmware. Also please keep in mind that there is no guarantee that the sources I used for the driver are going to work and that the other sources you pointed to (in that thread you referenced) may be the correct sources to build the driver. No way of knowing except trying, also not worth trying unless the firmware is loaded because without the firmware loading all drivers will fail.

It would be easy enough to just start building and posting drivers but I think that will do nothing but confuse. I do not have that device and would only be guessing - not time efficient.
I am removing the driver package I posted due to that and will wait until we can determine firmware before I build any more drivers,

Last edited by perdido on Sat 08 Feb 2020, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeGG

Just installed BionicPup32

#20 Post by GeorgeGG »

I just wiped puppy 6.3.2 and installed BionicPup32. I looked at the drop-down list of native USB WiFi modules, found one that was available on eBay and ordered it for just a few $$. Hoping for a plug 'n play experience. I will use all the info that has been offered here (and the vast library of Linux forums) if it does not work, as well as for future installs. I'm a spoiled rotten Windows Wimp, but wanting to leave that corporate monster behind and contribute to the homegrown OS and Apps community. Cheers!
George