Washing your hands

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
Terry H

Washing your hands

#1 Post by Terry H »

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

I couldn't help but notice that no-one on the forum seemed to be discussing the front page news for weeks coronavirus Covid-19 that is threatening us all. That lack of any comment seemed peculiar to me since Puppy forum has a history of being very quick to comment on all matters great and small. I wondered if I had simply not noticed the relevant threads, so did a Search on term "coronavirus". And there it was: a very very very early comment, published via time-machine by Sage in 2012

Posted by Sage on Friday Dec 07, 2012
Sage wrote:We need the gurus desperately so we can get on reading the latest strategies for beating the coronavirus, watch pictures of Mercury and listening to wwoz from the Big Easy, without all the IT stuff to worry about.
wiak
Attachments
sage_coronavirus_comment.jpg
(18.19 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hi wiak.

Congrats to Terry H for the initiative.

Various thoughts In no order:

-- It had to start hitting the US before it was considered important?

-- Our supposedly advanced and proud and global modern society is now eating humble
pie. How come we're so ill-prepared? IMO biologists should have by now a "periodical
table" of viruses, with properties and normal defenses for it.
E.g.
Virus XYZ appears? Ah. We do this and this and that, and it's over.

-- I was listening on the radio to a Q. and A. on COVID-19 with a micro-biologist from the
Ottawa General Hospital. A lady listener asked how long can COVID-19 live outside a
(human) host. The man didn't know! He kept beating around the bush!!!

IMO, this should have been the first thing tested: align a series of Petri dishes or similar
with various "foods" and conditions for the COVID-19 virus, and you look with your eyes
and with a microscope, and you test the potency every hour or even half-hour, and you
take notes. And you come up with a timeline for the critter.

If you had a timeline of the virus, you'd pretty much know what to do when to counter it,
IMO. Maybe you wouldn't need to quarantine masses of people.

-- Finally, for a Canadian at least, the distinction between COVID-19 and the common
flu is not obvious. We have flus and colds from November to April. The familiar flu kills
~ 3,500 people a year in Canada, vaccine or no vaccine*. The symptoms of the
common flu and those of the COVID-19 are pretty much the same. Try figuring out
which bug you've caught... Why get nervous? :shock:

BFN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~;
* Source
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

It seems the COVID-19 virus can live up to 8 hours on a slick surface, and the virus seem to survive longer in a tempered/cold climate, than in a hotter region. It has an app. 14 days incubation period. The reason for not commenting much about it, is probably due to the fact that it isn't really much to discuss or comment on, there are not many facts. I saw comments indicating that the people in countries where they are used to frequent outbreaks of diseases, probably because of an inferiour health service, don't rate this virus as a specially dangerous one.

On the topic 'Washing your hands', since I was a little boy, I have always washed my hands first thing when I come home.
It has always annoyed me, whenever I watch a movie or TV sitcom, where people come into a house, and almost immediatly sit down at the dinner table, and start to eat, without washing their hands first.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

wiak

#5 Post by wiak »

musher0 wrote:We have flus and colds from November to April. The familiar flu kills
I think the worry comes from the statistics that COVID-19 is between ten and twenty times (at least) more deadly than seasonal flu for those that contract it (and just as easy to catch). Inevitably the older population are the ones who have most to worry about since their states of health/immune system are nothing like so good as the younger generations.

Lots of golden oldies here on Puppy forum of course, so I imagine there is plenty of personal thought about the situation, and not surprisingly. Then again we all perhaps feel confident, but there may be a gnawing and growing worry as it approaches.

Then there is the possiblity it will mutate (like flu does) so even vaccines need to be continually recreated year by year. I have never taken any flu jab myself thus far in life, but COVID-19 mortality rate certainly makes me pause to consider that (were a vaccine even likely in the near future - though there is also the issue of vaccine side-effects to consider...). Let's just hope it fades away and renders most of the headlines as typical media hype - clearly the families of the already dead will think differently though and the particulary old and those with health issues have reason to feel uncomfortable with what we read day to day.
wiak

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I think the worry comes from the statistics that COVID-19 is between ten and twenty times (at least) more deadly than seasonal flu for those that contract it
Those facts are constantly changing as they get more information.
It seems to be not as bad as the fake news wants to make it sound.
It is simple math and very much dependent on number of reported infected people compared to deaths.
Notice how the deadly percent number, is all over the place, when comparing each country.

Get good information.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... try-2020-3

Seems to be working out to be about the same as the normal Flue.

Any illness, in a Home for old people, is going to cause a higher death rate.
Those people are not there because they are in good health. :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

perdido wrote:https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 7.3/zoom:3
Wake up and smell the coffee.
Hi perdido.

I went to see your map with the little colored boat drawings (is that what they are?),
on the Pacific Ocean. Indeed, boats sail on oceans and other bodies of water, that's
what they do! A bit of an explanation about your meaning wouldn't hurt.

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

Why are we panicking because of COVID-19?

Let's NOT throw caution to the wind, but by comparison, to give perspective:
How many deaths from the flu?

From 290,000 to 650,000
deaths per year due to influenza
or an average of 470,000 deaths per year worldwide.

> According to the WHO, seasonal influenza is responsible for
between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths worldwide each year.

The World Health Organization estimates that seasonal influenza causes between 3
and 5 million severe cases and 290,000 to 650,000 deaths per year worldwide.
Hospitalizations and deaths occur mainly in high-risk groups (elderly, chronically ill, ...).

Influenza epidemics occur between October and April in the northern hemisphere and
between April and October in the southern hemisphere . In the form of classic seasonal
epidemics, influenza already affects millions of people around the world every year and
causes hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Source *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Sorry to impose, but I unsuccessfully searched for a source in English for this info,
even on the WHO site, for half an hour. To anybody volunteering to continue that
search: TIA.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the one hand, nearly half a million deaths from the common flu and people in charge
are barely raising an eyebrow, it seems. On the other hand, COVID-19 counts 3,500
casualties for a bit over 100,000 cases worldwide in ten weeks (as of this writing), with
major impact now on international travel and the economy generally.

IMO, it's either a case of collective paranoia among the managers of our countries'
health systems, or we're not being told everything about the dangers of COVID-19.

Best regards.
Last edited by musher0 on Sun 08 Mar 2020, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

wiak

#10 Post by wiak »

musher0 wrote:Why are we panicking because of COVID-19?
Well, I'm certainly not panicking (I can't help my rational engineering background) despite my partner having travelled to Thailand and Singapore and Philippines in early February (returning just a couple of days before govt policy here included isolation). Then three or four of her work colleagues just returned from business trip to northern Italy last weekend (and are now in self-imposed isolation as recommended by govt policy - but that policy only came into effect one day after they returned so they were at work for a day prior to self-isolating). Simple maths (on current published statistics) tends to support the notion that death rate is around 2% for COVID-19 (on average, but yes, very variable statistic according to different country stats) but is known to only be around 0.1% for flu. Certainly large numbers die from the flu each year - that's because a huge global population catch it! The reason WHO and govts are concerned in not because of the current number of people who have contracted COVID-19, which certainly remains relatively small, but if it 'ends up' spreading, like the flu, then 2% of a huge, global, population will result in many millions dying. It hasn't spread yet though, and maybe will fizzle out - we wait and see. The old and those with underlying health issues (such as the old often have...) are the ones most at risk of course.

Personally, if I am likely to one day catch COVID-19 (any of its possible future strains) then I'd rather get it sooner than wait until I'm over 80, though of course it would be nice never to contract it at all (perhaps relying on future vaccines?).

Anyway, I have had a terrible cold for a week now, but am almost recovered and am away out for a good expresso coffee at my local cafe now!

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Sun 08 Mar 2020, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#11 Post by wiak »

musher0 wrote:On the one hand, nearly half a billion deaths from the common flu and people in charge are barely raising an eyebrow, it seems.
I think you mean "half a million" (or it would be worth panicking!)

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

wiak wrote:
musher0 wrote:On the one hand, nearly half a billion deaths from the common flu and people in charge are barely raising an eyebrow, it seems.
I think you mean "half a million" (or it would be worth panicking!)
Oops. Thanks for catching that typo! (Now corrected.)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

backi

#13 Post by backi »

People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune....
Also the Virus seems "allegedly" mutating .(even more agressive ?).

Corona Virus mutating ?
Coronavirus: Are there two strains and is one more deadly?
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... re-deadly/
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... re-deadly/
Would put a completely different Spin on this Pandemia, beside Speculations about Corana could be a Bio-Weapon Attack.
Hope it ain`t so !

The Mystery of the Georgia Guidestones ......solved ?....ha...ha...ha..just kidding ...

Corona and other "strange" Coincidences .....
The "engineered " Climate Emergency/Crisis for Example and other ....and more "strange" Synchronicities... on our Way to the NWO (New World Order) "One World" Government....Capitol New Jerusalem ?
Full Spectrum Dominance.

Some more Fuel for "real" Hardcore Conspi-Racers :
Astonishing or maybe not so astonishing News about one of the World`s leading Virus Expert/Developer/Entrepreneurs and Member of "The Inner Circle" a.k.a. "The Cabal":
The "Philantropist" Bill Gates (a.k.a The Lord/Darth Vader of the Viruses).
Baal-zebub --Lord of the Flies(Diseases)....one of the seven Princes of Hell .
https://livescifi.tv/2012/04/beezlebub- ... -evidence/

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... baal-zebub
Member/High Priest of an "occult" Death Cult ????

Voila !
Davos 2020 - World Economic Forum
Bill Gates and the Return on Investment in Vaccinations .
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/01/23/b ... davos.html

Here is another Link to another One .
https://fortune.com/2019/01/17/bill-gat ... al-health/
Corona,War Diseases and Suffering is Big Business for the Vultures.....even bigger Business ...a bloody Feast for the Dark (globalist) Overlords.....and gives the Possibility for total global Subjugation/Control/Dominion ..

Bio-Weapons ,,,,,Weather Manipulation/"Control" ?
What`s next Bill.?......Depopulation Programms? Cashless Society? (RFID)Microchip Implants ( The Mark of the "Beast" -666) forced on "We The (remaining) Sheeples"? FEMA Camps ?

Here is another Tidbit from a very questionable Source:
"Lethal BioWeapon & GSK Golden Vaccine’s Ring with Bill Gates, Pentagon and Zionist’s Black Rock"
https://www.veteranstoday.com/2020/03/0 ... blackrock/
Quite spooky ....i know .
But mere Speculation .

Nowadays one could become easily a Conspi-Racer if such a Thing like Conspiracies did exists.. .A lot of Fuel out there for Conspi-Racers.
Strange Days indeed.

Have Fun!
Attachments
Bill-e-Melinda-Gates-premiati-dallex-presidente-Barack-Obama-640x421.jpg
(29.24 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

jafadmin

#14 Post by jafadmin »

musher0 wrote:Hi wiak.

Congrats to Terry H for the initiative.

Various thoughts In no order:

-- It had to start hitting the US before it was considered important?

-- Our supposedly advanced and proud and global modern society is now eating humble
pie. How come we're so ill-prepared? IMO biologists should have by now a "periodical
table" of viruses, with properties and normal defenses for it.
E.g.
Virus XYZ appears? Ah. We do this and this and that, and it's over.

-- I was listening on the radio to a Q. and A. on COVID-19 with a micro-biologist from the
Ottawa General Hospital. A lady listener asked how long can COVID-19 live outside a

IMO, this should have been the first thing tested: align a series of Petri dishes or similar
with various "foods" and conditions for the COVID-19 virus, and you look with your eyes
and with a microscope, and you test the potency every hour or even half-hour, and you
take notes. And you come up with a timeline for the critter.

If you had a timeline of the virus, you'd pretty much know what to do when to counter it,
IMO. Maybe you wouldn't need to quarantine masses of people.

-- Finally, for a Canadian at least, the distinction between COVID-19 and the common
flu is not obvious. We have flus and colds from November to April. The familiar flu kills

BFN.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~;
* Source
The reason Americans don't panic is this: CDC Stats. There are serious Flu numbers, just not from Covid-19.

An important rule for a free society: "Never panic just because the media tells you to."

wiak

#15 Post by wiak »

Ok, I looked at the following website today and noted their statement regarding "What May Happen". Nothing to panic about, but somewhat concerning:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
What May Happen

More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that sustained person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including throughout communities in the United States. It’s likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur.

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

Hi guys and gals.

Of course you don't want to panic because the media tells you to. But "covering sex,
blood and sensationalism sells media", as the old saying goes. IOW stirring up emotions
in the general public. So they indulge.

Right now, the media with the coolest head about COVID-19 seems to be Australia's
ABC network (IMO, compared to Canadian news).

Maybe it's not the media's fault. Maybe our oh-so-learned-and-oh-so-methodical
biologists and doctors were caught with their pants down.

Case in point -- I just read this afternoon that a dry cough is one of the symptoms of
COVID-19; 2 / 3 of the time, the other third being the regular "productive" cough. I'm all
for fuzzy logic, but then there's fuzzy and fuzzy.

What's different between this type of cough and a smoker's cough? Or croup? Or the
cough of a person with the flu? Anybody remembers how a person with tuberculosis
coughed?

Ah, but this dry cough (or even "wet" cough) symptom has to be present with a fever,
and perhaps muscle pains, and perhaps diarrhea, to conclude to COVID-19.

And then there are 80 % of people who have contracted COVID-19 who have no
symptoms at all. That's weird: how is it that having no symptoms is a symptom?
Following this line of reasoning, having no money at all, I'd be worth a fortune!!!
As well, the world arose out of nothingness, according to some mythologies...

Hey, I have no symptoms of anything. Does that mean I have COVID-19? If a stand-up
comic was saying that, we would be ROFL. Except there seems to be a life-and-death
outcome here.

The media are parrots. If the health scientists know "nothing much", the media will
repeat "nothing much".

I move that health scientists use real logic and stop being stand-up comics. Go do your
job seriously and come up with health info ordinary people can understand and use.

Who seconds the motion?

Regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

musher0 wrote:-- I was listening on the radio to a Q. and A. on COVID-19 with a micro-biologist from the
Indications are, up to nine days, depending on type of surface, temperature and humidity.

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... -up-to-nin

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection. ... 3/fulltext
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Many thanks, BarryK.

So the research was done, and proper data, collected. That micro-biologist from the
Ottawa General should be sent on a refresher course -- or fired?

Toning down my criticism of health scientists.

I suppose similarly precise data exists for the COVID-19 symptoms, but the journalists
from the French-Canadian networks (Radio-Canada and TVA) are lousy researchers
or no good at popularization? Grrr.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

From above links.
The evaluated studies showed that coronaviruses can persist on surfaces and remain infectious at room temperature for on average four to five days, but sometimes up to nine days.
Nothing wishy washy about that statement. :roll:
So, what is that sometimes up to nine days?
What is the sometimes?

Too bad we do not get this fired up about the normal flu!

Wash your hands when you use the public bathrooms.
Then grab the door handle to get out. :shock:
Did you also wash the door handle?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

Hi bigpup and all.

The trick is to open the bathroom door on your way out holding a paper towel, then
dropping the paper in a trash can in the mall or wherever.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On the subject of quarantining people, I'm sure there's a better way.

If you go through the more technical article suggested by BarryK, you'll notice that
some cleaning products kill the corona virus on surfaces in half a minute. You don't
have to wait 5 to 9 days.

Could the cities not hire cleaning crews to disinfect the public places, the buses, the
subway, etc., say before and after rush hours?

IMO that would be better than making a person's home into a kind of prison for 2-3
weeks.

Other ideas?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, we should get "all fired up" about the normal flu, too.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~