how to install puppy dual boot with ubuntu mint

Using applications, configuring, problems
lvds

how to install puppy dual boot with ubuntu mint

#1 Post by lvds »

Hi everyone,

I need a guru help for a problem, using Bionic puppy 8.0 64bits.

I need to repair a far distant computer, which i cannot access due to confinment and pandemics restrictions in my country by now. The computer have linux mint installed and something went wrong though i don't know what (it seems to work but it is very slow) and the user owner of the computer is not a scientist.

The hard drives have some partitions ready, one is already containing linux mint, others are ready to use. I would like to install puppy frugall in ext3 partition and have it dual boot with linux mint so the user can select which one he is willing to use. I'm not a boot loader guru and can't find what to do so far. I did not find a "how to" document about it, and I did not find into the puppy installer the option to have it dual boot !

If someone know of a tutorial, please kindly point me to the guide, or please explain how to make it work. Many thanks in advance for any help, these are hard times.

Laurent

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What exactly is the computer?
make and model?

This only applies to a computer with the old style Bios, not UEFI Bios!
The hard drive needs to be using the msdos partition table. Grub4dos will not work on a GPT partition table.

Mint is kind of strange about what boot loader it uses and how the entry has to be.

I have done this, but it was with an older version of Mint.
I can not say for sure it will work for you.

he Grub4dos bootloader Config program in Puppy, is very good at finding other versions of Linux, but if used will replace Mint's bootloader.
The default settings will work fine.
Be sure this is what you want to do.
It will give you a boot entry for
Mint.
Puppy

Mint's present bootloader will work fine for Puppy, but you will have to do some manual changes to it's menu config file.
Manually put a entry in it to boot Bionicpup.

I just looked at the version of Mint I have installed on this computer.
I now understand your confusion. Mint does not seem to use a standard boot manager or is willing to let you do anything with it easily.
I am doing a duel boot of Puppy and Mint using the Puppy bootloader Grub4dos and it is working fine for me.

The basics of what you are trying to do.
Boot the Puppy live CD
Run Puppy universal installer
Do a frugal install of Puppy to hard drive.
Make menu entry for Puppy in Mint's bootloader menu
Or replace Mint's bootloader with Puppies bootloader.
Boot menu will have entry for
Mint
Puppy

This is a duel boot setup.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)