How to uninstall pre-installed program?

Booting, installing, newbie
PLPL

How to uninstall pre-installed program?

#1 Post by PLPL »

Hello, I just downloaded bionicpup32 on my computer and a browser called "light" was installed. A kind of firefox with limited resources, (probably to increase performance on old computers). However, I installed a browser of my interest "Palemoon", and I wanted to uninstall the browser that came with puppy linux.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello PLPL.

For programs one adds later on to the Puppy, one uses the UnInstall feature in the
Puppy Package Manager (aka PPM), and it's done.

However, if you have done a frugal install (the Puppy default install), removing any
pre-installed program on a Puppy involves remastering the main Puppy sfs.

Forum member nic007 provides a good remaster suite (please use the forum search
feature above to locate it).

But unless you are a long-time Linuxian and know what to do with the squashfs /
unsquashfs utilities, I would suggest that you leave your Pup as is. That way, you
can't hurt anything in the Pup, except maybe your pride! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you have done a full install of your Puppy (not recommended, BTW), you can probably
locate the Light browser directory (in /opt ?) and simply erase it.

I say "probably" because I always do frugal installs, so I'm not absolutely sure, but I
know that everything, programs and directories, is open and accessible to the user
in a full install.

BUT make absolutely sure your Palemoon is working properly before you axe down the
Light browser directory tree, yes? (Under /opt, IIRC.)

The upupbb Puppy does NOT come with a small back-up browser such as links2 or dillo,
so one does something stupid to one's native browser and one ends up a certain creek
without a paddle.

IHTH
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

PLPL

#3 Post by PLPL »

Apparently, there is no point in remastering my puppy to remove a simple program. Do you know what is the best type of installation for old computers? Frugal or full?

sheldonisaac

#4 Post by sheldonisaac »

PLPL wrote:Apparently, there is no point in remastering my puppy to remove a simple program. Do you know what is the best type of installation for old computers? Frugal or full?
Yes, I too feel that there is no point in remastering my puppy to remove a simple program.
And that the best installation for computers is the 'frugal' type. I am unsure which old computers would be better off with the 'full' type.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

Terry H

#5 Post by Terry H »

Welcome to the forum PLPL.

Bionicpup32 has the light browser installed as an adrv module, It is not part of the puppy_upupbb_*.sfs. If you have done a frugal install, it can simply be removed by manually deleting (or renaming, so it won't be loaded) the adrv_upupbb_*.sfs. from the upupbb installation. You will also need to delete the light profile and associated files.

This would need to be done while not logged into a different linux installation.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Full install option is from days in the past, when computers had only 512MB or less RAM.
Usually less.
Back then, it did use a little less RAM, probably still does.
If computer has more than 512MB of RAM, frugal install is better.
Full install support in Puppy, has not had any improvements.
All the improvements have been in frugal install.
Why?
Some features only work in a frugal install.

Do frugal installs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Don't mount the adrv (rename it as someone suggested). The light browser is not included in the base sfs of BionicPup32. For information - The builtin packages of the base sfs can only be removed by editing the base sfs. Easiest way to do this is to run the Remove builtin applications utility from menu and then do a remaster.