Many tabs - cause the computer to freeze on individual pages

Booting, installing, newbie
MrAccident

Many tabs - cause the computer to freeze on individual pages

#1 Post by MrAccident »

The problem was actually solved by discovering it, but I'd like to understand it and to post the solution - for whoever will have the same problem.
I recently installed Bionic-Pup-64 - and had these kinds of problems; which lead me to think that the problem is with not enough RAM (2G). But it turned out that this is the main problem.
I use Pale Moon; and I mainly used a session with ~200 tabs. While almost no tabs were loaded ― on different specific pages ― the whole computer started to freeze; pages like: FaceBook, YouTube, Google-Docs. So finally I tried to open the same pages ― starting from one tab ― and the CPU didn't shoot up. It seems that the CPU rises - but much less.
The sessions themselves ― loaded quickly, and no other problems. So how can alot of tabs - influence single pages?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Wow, 200 tabs :shock: I thought 20 was a lot of tabs to keep open.

I use SeaMonkey in Fatdog64 and, even with 16 GB of RAM, when I get to 15 tabs or so, the response to keyboard and mouse inputs slows a lot. I don't really know why. I suspect it's because the CPU, an AMD A4-7300, is being maxed out.

MrAccident

#3 Post by MrAccident »

@Flash - you mean 15 LOADED tabs? The 200 were not loaded.

BTW - it seems that with Opera ― it's the same story with the freezing. And with a few tabs. (but I probably won't use it anyway)

linuxcbon

#4 Post by linuxcbon »

Yes palemoon uses a lot of RAM when many tabs are open.
That's why I use chromium for many tabs, because it uses less RAM.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Check Pale Moon preferences->Tabs->Don't load tabs until selected

Why would you want 200 tabs.
That is the purpose of bookmarks.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

MrAccident

#6 Post by MrAccident »

@bigpup - the tabs aren't loaded!
That is the purpose of bookmarks.
That's an idea; I already see how it'll be much more convenient in some aspects, but not all. If there could be bookmarks per session; otherwise - I'll end up with a million bookmarks at once. :-P BTW - how heavy will loading the bookmarks be?

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

:mrgreen: Go ahead...
create a MONSTER!

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MrAccident

#8 Post by MrAccident »

@bigpup - thinking about it some more, and seeing how I create the tabs in the first place ― bookmarks are probably not suitable. I learn alot of different subjects, which branch-out to more specific queries - which I open immediately in new tabs; and they all need to be in relative order. And to order bookmarks ― requires extra work. So best that I'll just divide the sessions as much as I can.

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Using any of these?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MrAccident

#10 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - only Tab Mix Plus; why?

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

No particular reason. I just thought you might discover one or two that better fit your 200+ style.

MrAccident

#12 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - I didn't.

Damn, I forgot that alot of the times - when the freezing happens ― there is an Unresponsive Script message.

It still happens; but less frequent, and less intense. I still have 30 tabs.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

When you know which of your sites are functional enough *without* JS, blacklist'em!

Facebook? Not one of'em >> https://tools.pingdom.com/#5caa9ea5a6c00000

The above is a "request" example.

MrAccident

#14 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - probably non of the usual. But again - it's OK now; and I'll try to reduce the sessions further, in the future.

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

Here we go, key-combos are a motor skill every power user should master.

MrAccident

#16 Post by MrAccident »

@Semme - I don't understand the connection to the problem. And I probably know all of them.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Since we were on the subject of tabs I thought I'd interject - a shameless plug. :wink:

I'd also venture to guess that most average users don't know what they're miss'in by not using key-combos.