Free space in MUT

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
rockym93

Free space in MUT

#1 Post by rockym93 »

How about having MUT display free space as well as total size? Maybe integrating partview or freememapplet? It would be good to have all the information is one place.

PS: If this has already been posted a zillion times and deemed impossible for some reason please delete this post mercilessly. :oops:
[url=http://rockym93.dnsalias.net/][img]http://rockym93.dnsalias.net/puppy-powered.png[/img][/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It sounds like a good idea to me, but then I don't know how hard it would be to implement. :lol:

amish

#3 Post by amish »

firstly, it's an absolutely fantastic idea**

i can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible, barry has taken up the noble task of keeping mut up to date (best mounter util i've seen, one of the cooler features of puppy.) and he could probably add the feature... the normal caveat being that it's up to someone to actually take the time to code it in, and on that note i should say-
**i honestly don't care either way, if it gets added or not, but it's still a great idea. the other caveat being that if the "wrong method" is used, it may not provide information that does as much good as it does mislead the person using the util. potential for some confusion, as different methods return different results. BUT, i don't think it's a bad idea- see my first point.

krumpli

#4 Post by krumpli »

Im no expert, just posting my 2 cents on subject. I thought Barry was more closely linked with Pmount. MUT was supported by another person and is included in Puppy due to its popularity. Regardless, Pmount (part of Puppy located menu,utilities,Pmount) does appear to show "free space".

Paul M

amish

#5 Post by amish »

right on each count... pmount is maintained by members of this community, mut is by someone else, whoever wrote pmount. but barry really did take over mut. i suggested someone do so, but it had already happened. and they're both great utils, but i know i prefer mut for showing people how to mount that aren't familiar with the task, and i prefer it for my own use.

PaulBx1

#6 Post by PaulBx1 »

I prefer it also (like the english language buttons rather than buttons with meaningless pictures). It says right on MUT that Jesse Liley wrote it; apparently he's dropped support. Allegedly, maintenance of it is "difficult" because it is written in tcl. However in my experience, "see one scripting language, you've seen 'em all". If all you want to do is fix a small bug or add a small feature such as has been suggested, it's no big deal to dig out a tcl manual and get it done. I think I might even have a tcl manual - only 1000 miles away. :lol:

rockym93

#7 Post by rockym93 »

Here's another idea, probably easier than putting it in with the individual drives: Maybe a button, near refresh button or down the bottom, which just runs partview? That would be almost as good.

Tcl looks hard, I had a look at a few tutorials and stuff, and I can't figure it out. Does it run from source (like bash scripts) or do you have to compile it (like C)?
[url=http://rockym93.dnsalias.net/][img]http://rockym93.dnsalias.net/puppy-powered.png[/img][/url]

Gekko

#8 Post by Gekko »

Show me the source.

amish

#9 Post by amish »

Allegedly, maintenance of it is "difficult" because it is written in tcl.
when i read... i think it was barry... say that tcl/tk was The language in which to code for puppy, i had a look at every tut i could find. this was months ago.

tcl looks to be an EXTREMELY irritating language, that makes sense to some people, and i go as far to say it's a language that "only an aussie could love." i find with all the idioms, the french seems just a "oui" bit less foreign than australian, speaking as a merkin.

but barry is then a proponent of tcl/tk, and the things it produces- mut included- are not too shabby. i still think more highly of puppybasic, of course. but i would.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Would it be easier to create a MUT-like GUI for Pmount, than to implement rocky's idea in MUT? Just a thought. Again, I have no idea how much work it would be to do either one.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

Gekko wrote:Show me the source.
it is tcl script

mut.tcl

. . . already available in Puppy :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gamfa

#12 Post by gamfa »

Mut has always been my choice over pmount...
"Don't tell my cattle that I have leather seats in my truck"

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain

veronicathecow

#13 Post by veronicathecow »

I've used MUT as it is an icon on the bottom of my screen and forgotten about Pmount.
Used it just now and like it alot especially as it correctly tells me my memory stick is sda1 where as MUT says it is sda which is wrong...
Free memory on each drive would be so useful........

amish

#14 Post by amish »

not really flash... actually it's a great idea for pmount, but a lot of people find mut more reliable. i suspect it is, but maybe that will change someday.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.