one more puppy convert

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
acaza

one more puppy convert

#1 Post by acaza »

(i hope this is the right area for this sort of post . . .)

thank you to everyone involved with Puppy. i've been battling with other distros in my effort to switch to Linux. i have a sort of functional xubuntu box, but find it buggy (e.g., it's a toss up whether sound will work on any given boot). i'm sure the problems are easy to fix, but i don't have the skills. it took me an hour of searching and tweaking to get wireless working with xubuntu.

with puppy 2.15CE, i have sound and the wizard set up my wireless card, no problem. (i'm posting from seamonkey now!)

i'm a very happy puppy owner.

WhoDo

Re: one more puppy convert

#2 Post by WhoDo »

acaza wrote:(i hope this is the right area for this sort of post . . .)
Yep. 8)
acaza wrote:thank you to everyone involved with Puppy. ...[snip]...

with puppy 2.15CE, i have sound and the wizard set up my wireless card, no problem. (i'm posting from seamonkey now!)

i'm a very happy puppy owner.
You're welcome and welcome to the kennels! :P A well-behaved puppy can change the world one owner at a time! :wink:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

acaza

#3 Post by acaza »

I'm still definitely staying with Puppy, but I've moved to "back" 2.14. I found 2.15 was harder to work with. I have another post where I document the multisession trouble I had with 2.15 (nothing similar with 2.14). Also, in my struggles to install R, i found that I got more missing library messages in 2.15 than in 2.14. I suspect that's some weird quirk, rather than an actual difference in the libaries available, but its that sort of quirk that's sent me to 2.14. I think 2.15 is very pretty, and some of the added little bits are great (reveal desktop, PSI pre-installed, etc.), but in the end 2.14's reliability won me over.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to run multisession or pup_sav. I like the freedom to hack around and then not save the session when I make a mess, but the pup_sav boot time is SO MUCH faster with the sfs files copied to hard drive . . .
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

You could always boot with puppy pfix=ram when using a pup_save.2fs file. Or just make a copy of the save-file. I generally don't do that because I usually use a 1GB one, which takes a little while to copy even on my system. I back it up every once in a while, but for generic experimentation I prefer to use pfix=ram. Plus, that way I can see if the hacks work in a pristine Puppy or not.

But whatever floats your boat. In my case, fast booting is necessary because I often need to reboot (changing to a pristine setup, using another version, testing a remaster I'm working on, etc).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

acaza

#5 Post by acaza »

That makes good sense. I hadn't really looked at the boot options, but now that you mention it, I think the pfix=ram option is exactly what I need. Now I can have my cake and eat it too. Thanks
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210