Gxine works from the command line only

Using applications, configuring, problems
stevesr0

Gxine works from the command line only

#1 Post by stevesr0 »

I have trouble listening to internet radio with puppy 2.16.1 running as a live CD. I am in a try out phase and am comparing this with other distros on an old 266 Pentium MMX with 192 megs of ram and a 6 gig HD.

I have an on board OPL3SA"x" sound chip which works ok with several other distros (and not so far with other distros <g>).

With Puppy, I have had to run Alsaconf to get anything (modprobe snd-opl3sa2 was "accepted", but didn't obviously allow me to get sound running gxine from the icon). However, even after alsaconf, gxine launched from the icon would not run a stream (listen.pls), displaying a demuxer error.

To see what gxine would say what was wrong from the command line, I launched the file from the command line (gxine listen.pls), and to my surprise the graphical frontend appeared with info on the file and started playing.

While this is an improvement over NOT playing, under Puppy, the sound will cutout intermittently if I launch or work in another window (Dillo browser, Abiword) or move the mouse around a lot.

Would like to fix this; it doesn't happen with Knoppix or DSL.

Thanks.

Steve

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

Just for fun, try this:

1-Launch gxine GUI

(count to 3 while that logo renders)

2-drag your *.pls file onto GUI and see if it plays without the error.

Getnikar

#3 Post by Getnikar »

It seems we should be running gxineshell. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19430 for related discussion.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

we are, check out /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer
which is called by the rox mime handlers for most sound and video

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec gxineshell "$@"

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

gxineshell disables the screensaver (gxine should do that automatically, but for some reason the screensaver no longer was disabled ... it's possible the screensaver problem is no longer a problem)

gxineshell also pops up a message if gxine does not start because of missing codecs