Farmers

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
cornish

Farmers

#1 Post by cornish »

Being One, and we need people to buy our stuff, Our Goverment ( UK) , just HATEs US.

still nice to escape our problems and play with Puppy, nice clean interface and " them there long headed people are making it better!"

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

It's not just in the UK... the governments are made up of city people (yuck) who care about other city people and try to appease them, since during history something very stupid happened to this world: most of the population became concentrated in cities! So this world is now made up of 90% parasites.

What you need to do is put on your Fisherman's Smoks and start a-killin!
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

And it's quite old. See the derivation of pagan & heathen.

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

I'm also a farmer or should I say I own a farm in Southern Canada...I just ended my organic project this year, on my farm, due to climate changes.

It's been so dry here the last few years that I am unable to produce on a payable scale for organic production..irrigation is out of the question (I don't live in California where the gov pays the bill for water and is eyeing Canada to bail them out)..thus an end.

On a brighter note..I, and all farmers will have food when the city people end up screwing up the rest of the land..then I suppose I'll have to post sentries all night to keep a crop in the field and out of thieves hands.

I just can not compete with the US subsidies for farmers..US farmers get a huge amount of cash from their government...alas not here...oh well..I eat very well.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

What crops/produce were you growing Caneri?

Caneri

#6 Post by Caneri »

My organic crop was just hay/clover/alfalfa/grasses...but that was not the point of producing (although I had a sweet deal selling organic hay to an organic beef grower and buying back his beautiful beef)...the main reason was to detoxify the ground to move on with a more profitable crop..or at least a more interesting one (although I loved raking hay with my old Ferguson TEA2085 circa 1953 gasser).

The pressure to use chemicals to get a big crop is very strong here..alas..organics are not an option with a dry climate and irrigation being out of the question on 70 acres. I do have a nice little garden though...lot's of good stuff in there.

I have been talking to Cubans and may try to set up a small farm there as they are world renowned for organics...(the best thing the US embargo did for Cuba)...who knows it might be a new thing for Cubans as well..letting in a Canadian.

But I ramble...the water of life is at hand and a pot of stew is in order.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

hillside

#7 Post by hillside »

Yes indeed, we USA'ns love our farmers.

Well, actually we love some of our farmers. Mostly the really really big ones. The little guys we allow to fail all the time; they don't really count. Then our really really big farmers can buy up the land at fire-sale prices and get even bigger so they can collect even larger government payments.

Heck, you don't even have to be an actual farmer to collect the payments. You can, for instance, be a senator who owns a really really big farm and collect massive government payments.

God, if I were a really really big farmer I would really really love this system.

SirDuncan

#8 Post by SirDuncan »

Yes, those of us with small farms do get the short end of the stick in the US (by US standards, of course). I don't know of anyone who is a full time farmer, everyone has to have other jobs to make ends meet.

On the bright side, when society as we know it collapses (either from nuclear war, oil crisis, global warming, or zombie attack) it will be the small farmers who will have sustainability. The large farms could not hope to function without all of the conveniences of modern farm machinery (most of which would be useless without a modern infrastructure to support them). Small farms still have a chance, especially if you still have horse drawn equipment and the horses to go with it (my family's 1st rule of farm living: never throw out anything that still works no matter how outdated).

Now Caneri's got me thinking about securing the land against hungry city-dweller invasion. Maybe I should invest some gun turrets . . .
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

No need for gun turrets. Just modify your taste buds to enjoy bitter/sour as the masses in the city have become addicted to sweet pap. All my favourite veggies, (weeds), are very bitter.

Dougal

#10 Post by Dougal »

Caneri wrote:I just ended my organic project this year, on my farm, due to climate changes.
Ahh, our good friend Climate Change... do I need to mention who is responsible for it?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

muggins wrote:No need for gun turrets. Just modify your taste buds to enjoy bitter/sour as the masses in the city have become addicted to sweet pap. All my favorite veggies, (weeds), are very bitter.
Ha! that's my boy.
Last winter I struggled to keep up with all the edable greens growing in my garden: wild beet, goose-foot, amaranth, nettles... plenty of fine plants that people treat as bad weeds.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Caneri

#12 Post by Caneri »

Dougal wrote:
Caneri wrote:I just ended my organic project this year, on my farm, due to climate changes.
Ahh, our good friend Climate Change... do I need to mention who is responsible for it?
I figured it was cow flatulants...or that is what I heard anyway.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#13 Post by mbutts »

I thought the media had nailed it down to moose farts...... Seems like thats what I saw on the news a few months.
I farmed til 99, then got out. I had a garden last year and am thinking of having a much bigger one this next year. Perhaps someday I'll get back into potatoes and a few other veggies. I had some of my zuchinni and winter squash today, for dinner, it was yummy. It's pretty enjoyable going out in a garden and reaping what you sew. For me, it beats sitting in a cubicle. I'm from Nebraska, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes...... :wink:
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

Fossil

#14 Post by Fossil »

Cows? Moose? Nah! A few months back the increase in CO2 was attributed to termites. :wink: Honest!
"....If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes......"
That long? You should try down here, today. Sunshine, rain, gales, storm-force winds - the lot. All in the blink of an eye. :)
See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7123479.stm
Any surfers (aquatic) out there? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7122844.stm
Sage. What's it like further down the Vale?

John Doe

#15 Post by John Doe »

Caneri wrote:
Dougal wrote:
most people have forgotten, but just 30 years ago there was a "ice age scare" going around.

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/global%20cooling.htm

everyone should watch this:

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/ha4PoKY/ ... ng-Swindle

I believe, after viewing that video, that Al Gore has a valid correlation but has his cause and effect backwards.

Caneri

#16 Post by Caneri »

Well..I didn't say climate change....I said climate changes, as in plural...here, there have been many changes in my 53 years..which reminds me of a day when I was about 11 years old.

We were bailing hay on a day that was 114 degrees F..and that is no lie! Even a tad like me was wilted and I was used to the work.

It was so hot that day....the popcorn in the next field started to pop and the cows here thought it was snow and froze to death.

It happens with cows you see....

@SirDuncan..quote"(my family's 1st rule of farm living: never throw out anything that still works no matter how outdated)"

Here I got myself welders and torches...now I can't even throw out a tin can in fear it can be put into a muffler or whatever..sheesh
Chinese Proverb[/color]

John Doe

#17 Post by John Doe »

Caneri wrote:We were bailing hay on a day that was 114 degrees F..and that is no lie!
WOW, that's hot for Canada.

Right around Thanksgiving this year, my dad and I were watching a football game (on TV) in Dallas, Texas and it was snowing. I was laughing and running around the house yelling (in a mocking tone) "it's global warming, we're all going to die, we're all going to die".

I think the whole thing is a just a political tool to turn ourselves into "victims of ourself". Easier to control the masses if they think they are the problem. First it was "commies", then it was "drugs", then "terrorists" and now "ourselves".

I'm just going to go hide under the bed :lol:

Dougal

#18 Post by Dougal »

Caneri wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Well, there is that matter -- which I can blame on all you meat and dairy consumers... but I was actually talking about all the people who drive cars over short distances and spend their time in air-conditioned environments. Ahem.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

Given the choice between averting global warming and cheese, I will choose cheese eighteen times out of seven. Abolish cars, computers, and night lights, but leave my cheese alone.

I do have trouble understanding why people are so addicted to driving short distances. Ride a bike. Fight the man, fight pollution, fight congestion, and fight obesity, all at the SAME TIME!

Of course, many of us don't have that option (too far, too much crime, no legs, etc.). But there are many who do, and most of them are lazy bums who can't figure out why they're more bloated than Office.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Caneri

#20 Post by Caneri »

yummm...cheese on pizza
Chinese Proverb[/color]