How to connect WPA wifi with Dingo?

smiler82

How to connect WPA wifi with Dingo?

#1 Post by smiler82 »

So Ive had Puppy 3.00 running on an older laptop for over a year (P3, 128 ram, 20g HD, full install). WPA worked great, and things were good. I saw the 4.00 release and decided to wipe the HDD and install it. Now I can't connect to my linksys router using WPA.

I am using a netgear wpn511 pc card for wireless, and in the 3.00 install it showed me eth0 as my wired interface and ath0 (atheros chipset) for my wireless interface.

Now, iwconfig shows lo, eth0, wifi0, and ath0. I have used the Connect > Network Interface setup dialog to enter keys and settings but iwconfig ath0 shows that the encryption key is off (?). Are these settings being applied to ath0 or wifi0? How do I go about disabling one and using the other?

I have searched this forum for info on configuring WPA wifi from the command line but what Ive found seems to pertain to earlier Puppy releases.

Thanks in advance, this forum is truly a great resource!

smiler82

#2 Post by smiler82 »

Mods, I apologize if my initial post subject was inappropriate.... feel free to move it if this is in the wrong subforum as well...

setecio

#3 Post by setecio »

My netgear WG511t works flawlessly with Puppy 3.01 using WPA, but with Dingo 4.0 it gives endless problems and never connects automatically and only sometimes manually.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

smiler82 wrote:Mods, I apologize if my initial post subject was inappropriate.... feel free to move it if this is in the wrong subforum as well...
I edit subject lines in an effort to make it clearer what the post is about, so that people looking to help in the forum don't waste time reading posts just to find out what they are about. Also so that people browsing the forum looking for answers can get an idea of the contents from the subject line. I'm sure I don't always get it right, but I think it's worth trying.

I'll move this thread to the Wireless section of the hardware forum.

smiler82

#5 Post by smiler82 »

maybe i'll just reinstalled 3.00 and dual boot it with 4.00. I'm not turning off WPA just because I upgraded my OS. in the end, 4.00 looked real nice though...

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

Try this -
Wifi encryption problems (WEP/WPA) in Puppy 4
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29664

smiler82

#7 Post by smiler82 »

ok, just to recap... i've loaded all the modules mentioned in the other WPA Dingo thread. A network scan shows the correct network, but I still cannot establish a WPA connection.

A scan with pwireless 0.7.2 shows the correct network, but with incorrect encryption (shows the network as having WEP, when it uses WPA)...

iwconfig shows all the right settings for ath0, but the 'blinky' shows usage on wifi0. Is there a difference between ath0 and wifi0? (ath0 being the Atheros chipset in the wifi pc card)

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

Since you have an Atheros-based wifi device then the generic encryption modules mentioned in that thread are not relevant in your case. Your ath_pci driver uses unique encryption-related modules;
for WEP - wlan_wep
for WPA - wlan_tkip and wlan_ccmp

wifi0 is a "virtual" or "helper" interface. ath0 is the true interface.

smiler82

#9 Post by smiler82 »

ok, thats what i thought... i will try those other modules.

so, if wifi0 is virtual, is it that same as ath0? I am seeing wireless network activity on wifi0...