kde357.sfs hal udev dbus automounting

Using applications, configuring, problems
bdika

kde357.sfs hal udev dbus automounting

#1 Post by bdika »

Hi:

I am using the kde357.sfs from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22805

I have also followed the instructions there for using gslapt and slackware 12 repositories to install hal, udev and dbus. I also installed kdeutils.

However I still cannot get my usb flash drive to automount when I plug it in. When I plug it in it flashes once and then that is it. I would like for a window to open asking me what I want to do (open in a new folder, etc) like it does in Kubuntu. I would also like my cds and dvds to automount when I insert them.

My objective is to make puppy my main OS on my desktop but it has to be transparent to other members in my family. That is, they need to have automounting without clicking on any icons etc.

Is it possible to have this in puppy or am I trying something that requires way too much customization?

I am not a linux noob but I am also not a programmer (I am an accountant).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, either way. That is, if it is too hard then I will abandon my efforts and use another operating system. I like puppy because I can run it entirely in ram (I have 3.5gb) and it is therefore very fast.

Many thanks.

bdika

Kal

#2 Post by Kal »

I am using KDE 3.5.9 (slackware 12.1) with dbus, udev and hal (from slackware 12) running in Puppy 4, I do not have a flash drive, so I don't know how well it works on that arrangement.

It does detect when I put in a dvd or cd.

You might go back to kirk's post and take a look at his second .sfs which included hal, etc in it. I think all it needed was some minor things.

I used it for the way I got it working with some, syslinks from /etc/rc.d files, rc.hald and rc.messagebus to /etc/init.d, for starting them, changes to fstab and modified pmount for Storage Media. Just rename it in /usr/sbin to pmount.old for now. You can always remove the old to activate it, if need be.

This happens because there is a conflict with Slackware having used the name pmount.

You may also find that your KSysGuard doesn't work without lm_sensors-2.10.3-i486 from slackware 12 being installed. This is where I check to see if hald is running (it is alphabetical under Process Table).

If you decide to try it, I can post an example of my /etc/fstab, and how I modified pmount's name to pupmount.

Good Luck, Kal

bdika

#3 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Thanks for the response. I followed your suggestion to use kde357j.sfs and after installing dbus, hal and udev (I thought they were already included) my flash drive tries to automount. When I put the flash drive into the slot a kde window comes up telling me that a new medium has been detected and asking what I want to do. When I select the default option, which is "Open in New Window", I get the following Konqueror error:
A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
Do you have any idea what the problem is? Does it have to do with the syslinks you talk about in your post? Or do I have to change fstab and modify pmount? If so how?

Thanks.

bdika

Kal

#4 Post by Kal »

Have you installed lm_sensors-2.10.3-i486.tgz from Slackware 12 repositories, so that your KSysGuard works? It's a real handy program.

First, open up pmount, then mount and unmount all your partitions. This makes folders for them in /mnt. See also, if Puppy finds your flash drive, take note of what it is called (sr0 or whatever) in pmount. Remember as I said, I don't have a flash drive.

Hal reads the permissions off your /etc/fstab. Here is an example of my fstab, use this as guide only.

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,users,rw,utf8 0 0
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd iso9660 noauto,users,rw,utf8 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users 0 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/home reiserfs defaults 0 0

Note the users on the /dev/cdrom line, this gives the permission. All the partitions or drives, should be in /mnt also, if not, you can make a new folder for it there, by right clicking in the open field for a popup menu> Create New>Folder.

Changed pmount to pupmount (you might want to do this first).

Here is another modified pmount, renamed pupmount to download (this is a newer pmount out of Pup 4). Just use ROX-Filer file manager (it should be in your KDE menus) and left click on it and it will untar. Go back to Konqueror.

Go to /usr/sbin, then drag and drop the untarred pupmount to it, from the other window.

Next in /usr/sbin, rename pmount to pmount.old (right click on it for menu).

You will need to make pupmount executable, by right click on it for popup window and to properties>permissions, check box is executable.

To start pupmount, you need to change the name in KDE menu by right clicking pmount for a menu and use Edit Menu to change the name and the command to pupmount.
Attachments
pupmount.gz
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

bdika

#5 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Thanks for the detailed response.

I've tired all your suggestions and I still can't get the usb flash drive to automount. I still get this error when I try to mount anything under /media in kde:
A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
If you or anyone else has any ideas on how to deal with this problem, I would be glad to hear from you. I have googled it and tried all the suggestions I could find but still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated.

bdika

Kal

Let's get hald going

#6 Post by Kal »

Let us start by seeing if you have hald and dbus fully running. If you have KDE running and Ksysguard (standard on KDE), open up Ksysguard in Kmenu>System>Ksysguard>(Tab)Process Table.

Going down the list you should have these and it can vary with the drives and partitions you have. A minimum of one dbus-daemon, for hald between 4 to 7 entries like: hald, hald-addon-acpi, hald-addon-stor(you may have as many as 2 to 4), hald-runner

Trying to do this with Top is murder on my computer and screen.

Report back, I had given you up, sorry, I had stopped monitoring.

We will try to do this step by step, easier on this old man. I have managed to get it going seven or eight times. Let's just get a partition at first to open with the System (desktop Icon)>Storage Media>xxG Media.

If not there. activate "System Menu", right click the task tray (bottom panel)>Configure Panel>Menus (on the left side of window)> check box in Optional Menus (toward right side of window and then down next to bottom) and say OK. This should put it in the Kmenu.

Good Luck, Kal

bdika

#7 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Thanks for walking through this with me.

The Ksysguard>Process Table reports the following:
dbus-daemon
hald
hald-addon-acpi
hald-addon-stor
hald-addon-stor
hald-addon-stor
hald-addon-stor
hald-addon-stor
hald-runner
What next?

bdika

Kal

#8 Post by Kal »

Between three Brown outs and dsl accidentally being set to static instead of pppoe at our ISP, we're backup! My hard drive Puppy didn't lose a beat on reiserfs except for the current work.

1. Now check the /mnt and make sure all devices and partitions have a folder in there, like cdrom, dvd, flash, floppy, hda1, etc. These are your mountpoints in /etc/fstab.

2. Just for GP, make a symlink of /mnt. Drag with the mouse mnt off to the side and using Shift+Ctrl at the same time, release it, it will ask you to rename, and call it media.

3. We are ready to check one of your partitions in System (desktop icon)--> Storage Media--> xxG Media (use the hda1, it should be called out by just its size Media), see if it mounts and opens by left clicking on that partition?

The rest should be getting your /etc/fstab correct.

Good Luck, Kal, just an end user

bdika

#9 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Attached is a shot of my /mnt directory.

Also attached is a shot of my system/media directory.

The only partition that will mount with a left click is the /home partition. All others produce the following error message when left clicked:
Thanks.
bdika
Attachments
media_img.png
My system/media directory
(43.36 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
mnt_img.png
My /mnt directory
(48.44 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

Kal

#10 Post by Kal »

Hi bdika

Can you post a copy of your /etc/fstab.

I see you must have a sata hard drive. Do you have a floppy? What partition is home (pup_save.2fs) really on?

sda3 is an extended partition? So, sda7 must be your swap? Gparted would show that.

What is the HP a drive or partition?

hdc is another hard drive with no partitions? May be your dvd

What does pupmount say that sdf1 is?

A copy of pmount (pupmount) might be handy too.

Just trying to see what you have.

Kal

fstab

#11 Post by Kal »

Here is my guess, as to what your fstab might look like. Not sure on column 3 and this is guessing sdf1 is your flash . This is just rough. Do you have XP on sda1? I know you don't have dvd in /mnt.

Code: Select all

none         /proc        proc     defaults               0 0
none         /sys         sysfs    defaults               0 0
none         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=2,mode=620         0 0
/dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy  auto     noauto,rw              0 0
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom           iso9660           noauto,rw,users,utf8     0 0
/dev/dvd	 /mnt/dvd		iso9660            noauto,rw,users,utf8	0 0
/dev/sda1	 /mnt/sda1		ntfs		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda2	 /mnt/sda2		ext3		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda4	 /mnt/sda4		ext3		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda5	 /mnt/sda5		ext3    	    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda6	 /mnt/sda6		ext3   	              noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda8	 /mnt/sda8		ext3   	              noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sdf1       /mnt/sdf1              auto                  noauto,users                 0 0

Kal

bdika

#12 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

My fstab is shown below. The lines that are commented out, are lines that I put in previously when trying to follow an earlier post from you. I commented them out because they didn't seem to work.
Do you have a floppy? What partition is home (pup_save.2fs) really on?
No I don't have a floppy and my /home (pup_save.2fs) is on sda7.
sda3 is an extended partition? So, sda7 must be your swap?

sda3 is an extended partition and sda9 is my swap.
What is the HP a drive or partition?
HP is a partition sda1.
hdc is another hard drive with no partitions? May be your dvd
pupmount shows hdc as my CD/DVD drive.
What does pupmount say that sdf1 is?
Pupmount doesn't show sdf1 unless I insert my usb thumb drive.
A copy of pmount (pupmount) might be handy too.
See attached.

Thanks.
Attachments
pupmount_withflashdrive_img.png
Pupmount with a usb thiumb drive inserted. Note sdf1.
(32.7 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times
pupmount_noflashdrive_img.png
Pupmount without a usb thiumb drive inserted. Note no sdf1.
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 1225 times
fstab_img.png
My fstab file
(32.27 KiB) Downloaded 570 times

Kal

#13 Post by Kal »

The only thing I would do is add sda7 to the /mnt.

Try this as your fstab setup (not much different as your try, without remarked out #). These lines are what gave hal the permissions to open those partitions or drive. Make sure the periods are very light blue and not real (just part of the way kwrite works). A real period will kill it, kwrite's dot is a little (very little) lower than a period.

True, if the flash is not plugged in, it is not going to be shown in pupmount.

Code: Select all

none         /proc        proc     defaults               0 0
none         /sys         sysfs    defaults               0 0
none         /dev/pts     devpts   gid=2,mode=620         0 0
/dev/dvd	 /mnt/hdc		iso9660	    noauto,rw,users,utf8	0 0
/dev/sda1	 /mnt/sda1		ntfs		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda2	 /mnt/sda2		vfat		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda4	 /mnt/sda4		ntfs		    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda5	 /mnt/sda5		ext3    	    noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda6	 /mnt/sda6		ext3   	              noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sda7      /mnt/sda7              ext3                  noauto,users                 0 0
/dev/sda8	 /mnt/sda8		ext3   	              noauto,users		0 0
/dev/sdf1      /mnt/sdf1               vfat                  noauto,users                 0 0
Good Luck, Kal

PS: You could just make a copy of your fstab to /root/my-documents. Then cut all of /etc/fstab and do a copy and paste to it from the code above, of course save.

bdika

#14 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Sorry to take so long to reply but I have been away. Now I can mount the different partitions on my hard drive and the DVD seems to automount but I still cannot automount the usb flash drive. I'm getting the same error message as mentioned above, that is:
I will continue to work on it.

Thanks so much for all your help, Kal. If you have any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

bdika

Kal

#15 Post by Kal »

Hi bdika

I am shooting in the dark now, not having a flash drive to test with.

Things to check.

On your running processes in Ksysguard, does one of your hald-addon-stor lines say anything about "hald-addon-storage:polling /dev/sdf1 (every 2 sec)", this is on the right, in the "Command" column?

Does Pupmount mount the flash drive and then is it seen in System>Storage Media as the other partitions are?

It seems the problem is only on the line in /etc/fstab for permissions, on the flash drive. Try adding "rw" to the line as so "noauto, users, rw" in fstab. You might try changing instead of vfat to auto in the 3rd column of fstab for the flash drive, just to see if that helps or hurts.

It does seem that the mount notifcation is coming up.

The issue I have is, every device is all ways hardware connected, like the DVD, just detects the disc being inserted, but the DVD drive is there.

Wish now, I had a flash drive, but as I said, "I don't". No one in our little group has one either. May have to make a trip to town and buy one, just to play with.

Kal

PS: I got a USB Flash drive for testing, the good news is it worked as it does in Slackware and Other large linuxes, but (bad news) at this time, only with Puppy 4.04 alpha.

bdika

#16 Post by bdika »

Hi Kal:

Sorry to take so long to get back to you but the usb started to work all of a sudden. I have no idea why. But it seems that after adding the open office sfs and rebooting the usb started to mount.

I have since screwed up my 2fs file so I am starting again from scratch and will follow your advice.

Thanks again.

bdika

Kal

#17 Post by Kal »

Hi bdika

Very glad to hear you got it working. I guess some of the flash drives are more compatible than others.

This is new country for me, I only have it working completely with the newest test Puppies. BarryK has added a lot to Puppy in this area.

When you get it working again, make sure you have a backup copy of your save file and rename it something else, that Puppy can't identify as a save file. Like just add .old to the end of the name.

Sometimes even in linux, a reboot is necessary, depending on when some things get loaded into the OS.

Good Luck, Kal