which puplet for hp mini 1000

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jraygoza

which puplet for hp mini 1000

#1 Post by jraygoza »

I tried 4.2 using USB i liked it but couldnt connect my wireless or my sound. im going to try a puppy for netbook that I saw maybe everything will work. what other puplets do you guys recommend?

thank you

never_stop_learning

#2 Post by never_stop_learning »

I tried loading 4.2v2 and neither the broadcom-5.10.27.6-k2.6.25.16.pet
nor the broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet worked. Both loaded and provided the wl module in the wag but gave me a kernel error when selected.

I have Pupflux 4.1.2 with internal wireless working with the broadcom-5.10.27.6-k2.6.25.16.pet and the WL module. I PRESUME that the regular Puppy 4.1.2 or any of the 4.1.2 based Puplets will work the same.

I have not, to this point, been able to get sound working and could use some help and/or direction if anyone has any ideas.....

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I second the 4.12 version but as a general use there is not such thing as a puppy that will just work as is and suit your needs...getting your hands dirty is rule.
Finding a puppy that is closest to your ideal and building on that is the way to go.

The broadcom wl module is essential as the b43 is unreliable.
As for sound the latest alsa is also a must..these packages I have tried...the all in one should be fine
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 74&t=45326
Indeed only this kernel version has the most complete hardware support so watch out if using derivatives with newer kernels.
4.12 needs the gtk 2.12.1 patched update too to avoid browser crashing.
xbindkeys can be used to get the volume function keys working.

If you make a full install the patch to clean up after a bad shutdown is needed.
For frugal to work you need pmedia=scsihd parameter adding.

oh and if the same graphics chip is still used you may have to make one..or I used the suse on...but it has a bug which cause a complete freeze if more than one video is being played. The xorg vesa driver behaves ok and the machine is fast enough to be smooth anyway...this is what xorgwizard will use by default as the actual driver is not included.

just a quick list of the main aspects
I am basing on HP2133 so there are some differences so not all of this will apply.
Nice to have a choice of machine lol

mike

Vyse

#4 Post by Vyse »

You just cant find a puplet (or any other linux distro) that is made specifically to work with your series of hardware. You must get some stuff done yourself.

Since a puplet is basically Puppy with some modifications, there is no guarantee that it will recognise and run on your hardware perfectly!

I suggest using Puppy 4.2.1 and then try to search the forums for solutions to your hardware related problems.