Installed Puppy does not remember setup, can't play DVDs

Booting, installing, newbie
drrdf

Installed Puppy does not remember setup, can't play DVDs

#1 Post by drrdf »

I am new to Puppy, but have been using other Linux distros for some while. I have installed Puppy Linux on an old PC using the installer, but it seems to have just replicated the live Puppy situation from the CD. Every time I start up from the HD it goes through the same process of selecting the type of mouse, and X server etc. I have tried re-installing but it is still the same and seems to take for ever to boot up just as with the live CD.

Can anyone please give me guidance as to what to do to get it installed properly? Also I cannot play avi s or DVDs with Xine. They start and the images move in slow motion and after about 30 secs or so they all bomb out closing Xine. This may be because I have not been able to install the graphics card properly? By the way, all the changes to the desktop which I have made are implemented at each boot up.

The PC hardware is: AMD K6/2/500Mhx; 256 Mb RAM, 30 Gb hard drive dedicated to Puppy with swap file; Nvidia 32 Mb G Force2 MX graphics card.

Oakems

#2 Post by Oakems »

What it sounds like to me, is that you've installed a frugal setup and then chose to save to your hard drive. I haven't ever done this before so I don't really know what to expect, but I think that's why you need to go through the whole setup process at each boot.

For a frugal install, you have a pup_save.file which has all your settings in it, including your Xorg configuration. But because you've decided to save directly to your hard drive, you don't have a pup_save.file so your settings are not saved. I don't understand why they aren't saved directly to your hard drive, I'm not really sure how it works when you have a frugal setup and then save to your hard drive instead of a pup_save.file, but I think if you were to create a pup_save.file then you'd no longer need to go through the whole setup procedure.

If your not sure what type of install you're supposed to have, you can check your menu.lst entry for Puppy. If you have an init statement then you have yourself a frugal setup (it's the initrd line that point to initrd.gz). If you only have the kernel line then you should have a full install, and that makes it even more puzzling as to why your settings are not being saved.

drrdf

#3 Post by drrdf »

Hi Oakems,

Thanks for your reply. No, you are not correct. I have done a full install not a frugal install. I have in fact tried full re-installation several times. It is still the same each time. (I have a swap partition and a Linux dedicated partition set up with Gparted, with no other OS or data on the sole HD).

I have read elsewhere that people have installed drivers for their NVidia or other graphics cards, but I don't know where these are nor how this is done. Can anyone please give me any help with this? By the way I did save a pup_save file on the HD at installation. This has saved all of the changes which I have made to the background and desktop, and these are called successfully at every boot-up, but not the other parameters such as X server for some reason.

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

With a full install you do not make a save file.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565

After installing try running cd-dvd ...in setup.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

drrdf

#5 Post by drrdf »

Hi RJBrewer, I have followed the setup procedure but it does not make any difference. I did not make a save file and did a full install. I have tried installation several times. It is still the same.

Puppy seems to run OK. Everything seems to work OK except the Xine player. With dvds and avis after about 2 mins it bombs out every time. Some codecs seem to be missing and over half my dvds will not play at all. (I do not have an internet connection set up on this PC.)

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm..pretty sure I read barry saying there was a bug in one of the puppy 4.3 releases relating to full installs....try another version...welcome to beta testing :D

As for the driver...using xorg?
If so run the gxine wizard from the menu...see if xv has a green blob.

Check in /etc/X11/xorg.conf near the bottom and see what driver is listed...if it says vesa then you need to find a driver..try searching on here for your card

Codecs...hmm there are extra windows codec available...I prefer the opensource vlc...there is a good pet for 0.8.6f...1.0.0 is unfinished

mike

edit
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46223

drrdf

#7 Post by drrdf »

I discovered that my problems were solved with the release of Puppy 4.3. This now works straight from the box, so clearly the previous bugs have been fixed.

With only 256 Mb of RAM I can play avis and videos (although there is a bit jerkiness here and there with this limited RAM). The movie application no longer crashes out. Everything is big improvement. Thanks guys.