Testing puppy's acceptance in a city

Promote Puppy !
Enrique Corbellini

#1 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

Because of being tired of the small amount of people that knows about the existance of puppy, I decided to go to my neighborhood knocking everyone's door to offer it.
According to this neighbourgh tradition, you can't offer something related to computers if it's not selling it.
But, even though I offered it throw selling classes to know puppy's usage, I think this will be a long way till finding a good distribution for puppy.
Next step will be to prove it in old computers that are being sell, any other idea to put puppy in people's hands will be appreciated

Moose On The Loose

Re: Testing puppy's acceptance in a city

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Enrique Corbellini wrote: Next step will be to prove it in old computers that are being sell, any other idea to put puppy in people's hands will be appreciated
If people don't take it for free, try selling it. You can't really sell Puppy but you can sell a CD and memory stick combination preloaded with puppy.

If you are giving it away, try the local church or the like and offer to give it and lessons to the children or old people or only to people with red hair or just about anything that limits the number of people who are allowed to have it. Nothing makes someone want something quite as much as hearing that others can have it but they can't.

Offer to give it away with every order of 5 or more blank CDs or some other item.

racepres

#3 Post by racepres »

Moose On The Loose wrote:Nothing makes someone want something quite as much as hearing that others can have it but they can't.
+1 Well said and 100% True! You have No Idea the examples I can give you.
RP

puppyluvr

#4 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I install Puppy on every machine I de-virus...
I tell them its a backup for (the unavoidable) Windows failure..
I give them a nice grub with a splash, and show them how to connect Puppy to the net...Hopefully they will check it out...

I also recycle old machines, install Puppy and a load of games, and give them to children...
Over time...maybe....

@RP.. Yea, another strategy is telling them "IDK if your machine will run Linux, its the latest thing you know""
Boom, they want to try....
High tech you say, latest thing huh... 8)
Then, of course, Puppy runs blazing fast, and they think their machine is cool again...It works...
Everybody wants to be on the "Leading edge"...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

racepres

#5 Post by racepres »

puppyluvr: I also get to see quite a few different machines, as well as recycling a few older box's... while I have indeed left all of them with puppy on 'em.. I never thought about your "cutting edge" strategy!! I'm definitely gonna use that. Thanks.
To the OP, Enrique Corbellini, Good luck!
RP

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
I install Puppy on every machine I de-virus...
I tell them its a backup for (the unavoidable) Windows failure..
I give them a nice grub with a splash, and show them how to connect Puppy to the net...Hopefully they will check it out...

I also recycle old machines, install Puppy and a load of games, and give them to children...
Over time...maybe....

@RP.. Yea, another strategy is telling them "IDK if your machine will run Linux, its the latest thing you know""
Boom, they want to try....
High tech you say, latest thing huh... 8)
Then, of course, Puppy runs blazing fast, and they think their machine is cool again...It works...
Everybody wants to be on the "Leading edge"...
I take this youtube vid with me on usb for showing off puppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oyhlad64-s

I'm older than dirt; but had never heard of or seen Paco
until a few weeks ago.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

racepres

#7 Post by racepres »

RJ; I been drinkin today already.... but, I guess I don't get it??
In my condition I fail to see the connection!! Help!!
RP

rjbrewer

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

racepres wrote:RJ; I been drinkin today already.... but, I guess I don't get it??
In my condition I fail to see the connection!! Help!!
RP
It might be a good part of a presentation in Latin American
countries.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Enrique Corbellini

good advices

#9 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

well, may be getting drunk is not as bad as having first world's japanese "admirable" nuclear energy.
But what if we continue speaking under good manners as we were at the begining.
Precisely, I was thinking of giving puppy to a sector of people as Moose suggested, instead of giving it to anyone.
Since puppy does a contribution to ecology putting old machines working again (since that reduces garbage), I can invite ecologist people to use it and know this forum.
Don't know if it's a good idea, I just can try.
Also agree with puppyluver about putting puppy work in PCs telling their owners "this is latest tech, don't loose it". But as it's a bit different from Windows in usage, then becomes necessary to teach how it works, and I also like that.

racepres

Re: good advices

#10 Post by racepres »

Enrique Corbellini wrote: Since puppy does a contribution to ecology putting old machines working again (since that reduces garbage), I can invite ecologist people to use it and know this forum.
Don't know if it's a good idea, I just can try.
A plan everyone can get behind!
RP

efiguy

#11 Post by efiguy »

Hi Enrique and Group,

- "Lobster" had noted a couple of these in "Specialized Puppy's" and I would add the others to create interest.

- "Twinkle" is interesting as it has so much startup help for the inexperienced user - Perhaps you could add translation.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65913 -- Specialized Puppys

Twinkle is a complete, working Puppy 4.3.1 with an auto start menu for Elderly and New users ------ Twinkle

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 514#363514

http://tmxxine.com/twinkle/setup.html --------------- Twinkle iso

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62619 -- Puppy Arcade 10
- BTW- "Lobster" and others - if you read this - we need more "semi hidden" versions brought forward - as they are really interesting.

Best of luck,
Jay

Enrique Corbellini

#12 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

efiguy wrote:Hi Enrique and Group,
- "Twinkle" is interesting as it has so much startup help for the inexperienced user - Perhaps you could add translation.
Jay
Thanks, I'll be watching it. :wink:
Casually yesterday I downloaded Arcade too.
This week I'm selecting those puplets better for people who need some migration from windows to linux.
These people appeared as I tried to distribute puppy in some different ways, some of them using a simple popular chat.