[SOLVED] Touchpad not recognized

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

[SOLVED] Touchpad not recognized

#1 Post by mickee »

Hiya!

Been dutifully searching... cannot find a doc on how to fix this. My touchpad isn't recognized. Maybe my lappy is too old? In any case, thought I'd throw this out there. Any and all help much appreciated!

No takers? Pullleeeze. :D
Thanks very much in advance.
Attachments
touchpad.png
This is the message I get when I try using the Keyboard/mouse wizard
(36.19 KiB) Downloaded 1618 times
Last edited by mickee on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

glassparrot

Re: Touchpad not recognized

#2 Post by glassparrot »

mickee wrote:Maybe my lappy is too old?
What model and make is it?

mickee
Location: Saskatoon SK Canada, Gateway 5300 Laptop, 600MHz Celeron, 384MB RAM, lucid puppy 5.2 (Full Install)

Re: Touchpad not recognized

#3 Post by mickee »

glassparrot wrote:
mickee wrote:Maybe my lappy is too old?
What model and make is it?
Gateway Solo 5300

glassparrot

#4 Post by glassparrot »

The touchpad works, right? However, it's a pain not to be able to turn it off and on, though - is what you're saying? I'm still working on that with my brand new computer - an Asus Eeepc - which has an Elantech, rather than a Synaptics touchpad

A quick Google search tells me that your laptop has an "EZ-Pad touchpad" which has been supported by Linux in the past. Apparently, someone named "H. Davies" wrote the gpm (General Purpose Mouse) package which works here.

You'll find, Mickee, that Puppy Linux is a tool where you have to kind of roll your own solutions for things. Folks here can point you in the right direction, but then you need to take the bull by the horns. It's kind of the opposite of Ubuntu, where you have all your needs taken care of by the software. Speaking of which, have you tried Xubuntu?

mickee

#5 Post by mickee »

worked in Windows, not in Puppy. Thanks for your response. I will do some more research.

mickee

#6 Post by mickee »

glassparrot wrote:Speaking of which, have you tried Xubuntu?
Actually, I have, it didn't want to run. My laptop had 192MB ram back then. Haven't tried since I installed puppy, have 384MB now.. I like puppy, and really don't want to switch to another Linux flavour. Right now, the only issues are the touchpad and the USB wireless stick that refuses to run. (I've tried the suggestions in that thread and still no go, so am stuck with PCMCIA NIC, Uses tons of battery power, I'm afraid.)

Touchpad worked prior to puppy, (Win Me), and I would like to get that and the wireless NIC working so I can treat myself to the mobile part of the laptop rather than being tethered to the optical mouse and NIC, eh?
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b68/The_Wizard_of_OZ/Lindows-NOT-1.jpg[/img]
Linux is [i][b]NOT[/b][/i] Windows. Doesn't [i][b]PRETEND[/b][/i] to be, Doesn't [i][b]WANT [/b][/i]to be; Don't try to [i][b]MAKE[/b][/i] it be.

bignono1

#7 Post by bignono1 »

Hi mickee, please try going /etc/x11/xorg.conf ,schroll down to something like max tap ,you will find a 0 value next to it ,change the value to .10 , save and restart x, hope it will work for you.
About your usb modem : what type is it? if it is a 3g then try pgprs connect via menu or console and input these values:
Modem :/dev/ttyUSB0
Phone no.:*99***1# or *99*#
User:pps
P/W :pps
Pin no.: your pin no.
PS: the command in console is : "pgprs-setup ".
Good luck.

mickee

#8 Post by mickee »

bignono1 wrote:Hi mickee, please try going /etc/x11/xorg.conf ,schroll down to something like max tap ,you will find a 0 value next to it ,change the value to .10 , save and restart x, hope it will work for you.
About your usb modem : what type is it? if it is a 3g then try pgprs connect via menu or console and input these values:
Modem :/dev/ttyUSB0
Phone no.:*99***1# or *99*#
User:pps
P/W :pps
Pin no.: your pin no.
PS: the command in console is : "pgprs-setup ".
Good luck.
will try this and report back. I don't have a USB modem, I have a USB ethernet adapter, is that what you are referring to? Thanks.

mickee

#9 Post by mickee »

This is an example of the dreaded ID10T error. The pad and buttons work as long as the PS2 mouse isn't plugged in. My bad!