Firewire Hard Drive

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
steve_s

Firewire Hard Drive

#1 Post by steve_s »

I looked around trying to get firewire going on Puppy 5.2.8.

I found this one and entered in all the modprobes, no go with pmount or icon showing on the desktop.

I get this error message from dmesg:

Code: Select all

phy0 -> rt2500pci_set_device_state: Error - Device failed to enter state 1 (-16).
over and over again.

Any ideas? This is my "movie" drive and I would love to get it working on this Puppy pc! :wink:

steve_s

#2 Post by steve_s »

Random input on this thread for future reference:

I just installed NOP 4.3.1 on one of my sons' computer's and it saw the firewire drive instantly, no hassle at all. 8)

Farlane

#3 Post by Farlane »

Lucid from Ubuntu is compiled such that it will run on 486 computers. Maverick and up needs a 686 coputer. The main reason for the change was to take advantage of the cmov instruction, Lucid will install and run on processors that do not have the cmov instruction. I use it when repurposing old thin client boxes based on the the VIA c3 or C7 or the geode(all without cmov support).
Debian now compiles their 386 version to need a 486. I don't remember what this buys you, but it does not use the cmov instruction. So, now the question I have is whether Puppy is useful to me any longer on the Via C3, C7, or geode based computers. Is the lupu 528 merely optimized for a 686, or does it require a 686? Will it run on a 486, which is essentially what a C3, C7 or geode is? It would seem like a shame to base it on Lucid, which supports 486 computers and then drop that 486 support.