Where is Linux (where is Puppy) headed?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
gcmartin

Where is Linux (where is Puppy) headed?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

By 2017, laptops will be a thing of the past for most people of the world. In the home, Entertainment Centres will be doing what laptop/desktop PCs do today...in the home. All Cell Phones will have NFC (Near Field Communications) built-in. In the workplace systems will be varied by function of the business requirement(s). Touchscreens will be everywhere.

The desktop OS of today will be morphed into a App store system, where users would elect to control it via gestures as well as speaking to it. Desktop OSes will be much more geared to carrying out spoken/gesture orders from its users versus typed or mouse clicks

Garments, headsets, and gloves will synch with OSes and will provide/allow wearers to instuct and interact with the systems you have.

The language will change from your Personal Computer to your "Personal System".

"Will there still be a Puppy in the house? Or, will it be a dog."

jpeps

#2 Post by jpeps »

Hard to say; keyboards have a unique advantage for many applications and laptops can share the screen for multiple applications. It's also nice to have large screens.

Devices are very convenient when you need portability.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:Hard to say; keyboards have a unique advantage for many applications and laptops can share the screen for multiple applications. It's also nice to have large screens.

Devices are very convenient when you need portability.
The syncing issues are already being addressed such that you will be able to "sync" to your large screen when you walk into your office. And other office/rroom items as well.

You will be recognized by all of your devices.

I have to stop being old to become young to get onboard with this.

I have known for a long time that young people have a distinct advantage over us old-farts. They don't have to go thru the "re" training. They just learn it right out of the box.

Clear...

jpeps

#4 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
You will be recognized by all of your devices.

I have to stop being old to become young to get onboard with this.

I have known for a long time that young people have a distinct advantage over us old-farts. They don't have to go thru the "re" training. They just learn it right out of the box.

Clear...
Yeah..no longer necessary to take the time to develop human relationships, go outdoors to play a sport, learn more about a computer than which buttons to push....etc, etc. I can hardly wait...

Chili Dog

#5 Post by Chili Dog »

Here's a question for you:

What will happen to Linux when Linus Torvalds dies? Stallman's already had a couple of incidents...

Will Linux continue to be developed by the corporate consortium? Will Linus name a successor?

linuxbear

Re: Where is Linux (where is Puppy) headed?

#6 Post by linuxbear »

gcmartin wrote:All Cell Phones will have NFC (Near Field Communications) built-in.
There is a gizmo now available which will sync your land-line via bluetooth to a cell phone which will let you drop your land line. With this you still are able to use your POTS-line and home phones by tethering to an Android or iphone mobile phone.

jpeps

Re: Where is Linux (where is Puppy) headed?

#7 Post by jpeps »

linuxbear wrote:
gcmartin wrote:All Cell Phones will have NFC (Near Field Communications) built-in.
There is a gizmo now available which will sync your land-line via bluetooth to a cell phone which will let you drop your land line. With this you still are able to use your POTS-line and home phones by tethering to an Android or iphone mobile phone.
You can easily call-forward to a cell phone, or eliminate a land line completely by transferring the old number over to your cellphone. I find it necessary to use a landline when picking up messages, however, because cell phone quality is so distorted that it's difficult to decipher a call-back number.

darkcity

#8 Post by darkcity »

Chili Dog wrote:Here's a question for you:

What will happen to Linux when Linus Torvalds dies? Stallman's already had a couple of incidents...

Will Linux continue to be developed by the corporate consortium? Will Linus name a successor?
As I understand to GPL license ensures Linux can't be copyrighted by anyone, and therefore belongs to 'the commons'. If Linus dies, retires, steps down someone or a team may step in. If no one steps up the Linux Foundation may actively seek some replacement.
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/faq

Interestingly, many open-source projects have 'benign dictators' someone who opinion so respected that other developers take their lead.

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

Dont know where Puppy is headed. But, I have been sharing where the world is heading. See This!

Here to Help

jpeps

#10 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:Dont know where Puppy is headed. But, I have been sharing where the world is heading. See This!

Here to Help
Yeah, people are wondering how they're going to install MS Office with only 64GB !!

gcmartin

We may be too far down the old road to adapt. But, its time2

#11 Post by gcmartin »

The PUBLIC Bell is now sounding! Town Cryer says "PC's in a coma! Maybe close to death."

We are standing on the shores watching this Tital Wave of Technology change heading our way.

What should we do to adapt Puppy to match the new "User Interface" that's already started? Nokia, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony, are all fully underway.

Hope this helps

jpeps

Re: We may be too far down the old road to adapt. But, its time2

#12 Post by jpeps »

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read. Mine's alive and doing well.

James C

Gartner Says 2012 PC Shipments Will Grow 4.4% To 368M Units

#13 Post by James C »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Guys :)
Linus was asked this question and says there are 5 or 6 people already doing what he does and able to take over for example when he is on holiday. There are two people specifically who currently take over at holiday time. Linux safe.

Long term project glass or similar HUD integration is coming. I may have mentioned this :)
"We are the DORG
resistance is futile"

Short term are silent PC's with bluetooth keyboards (what I am using - well USB keyboard for now) and all in one devices such as the Nexus tablet and superphones.
http://www.google.com/nexus/#/

The all in one devices have touch screens (we Puppy's don't yet)
increasingly effective voice interaction and usable on screen keyboards (example texting)

Two years from now I will buy a 7" smart ink tablet and hopefully run Puppy on it. It will be cheap and cheerful - I may be tempted by Apple Skin (or similar HUD device) but am more likely to wait another two years for a mature Open Android device . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

That "heads-up display" you show is "great", Lobster! Good example of increasing personalization options that might prove helpful.

And, like you, I desire those same things. I'm expecting to make a 10"/12" display option at the beginning of the fall school year (September).

Anyone have suggestions for a touch-screen hand-help computer that has a "constant" internet presence?

Thanks in advance

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

Interesting read !
They don't have to go thru the "re" training. They just learn it right out of the box
That's what is called " higher programming language level " i guess .

I really believe that much computing is invented by " blind " people , likely being replaced by " healthier people " from the " south " .

Higher programming languages don't fit on small chips for things that may help destroy blinding devices one fine day .

Several " high cultures " like the Ancient Egypts or Babylonians or Romans were destroyed , but they for themselves lasted a long time while " active " .

Here to help :LOL:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Anyone have suggestions for a touch-screen hand-help computer that has a "constant" internet presence?
The best at present by a long margin is the Apple 3.
It is the attention to detail that borders the insane that I rather approve of.
For example the packing box that the new Ipad comes in is designed in such a way that as you lift the box top off . . . this takes 30 seconds.

This increases your anticipation and appreciation. :roll:

That is the packaging. The same detailed perfectionism is in the hardware and software.

I really wanted an Android device. So far none of them are as good, whether cheaper or more expensive.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jpeps

#18 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote:
That is the packaging. The same detailed perfectionism is in the hardware and software.

I really wanted an Android device. So far none of them are as good, whether cheaper or more expensive.
A good read about this is Adam Lashinsky's book, "Inside Apple"

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

Lobster wrote:The best at present by a long margin is the Apple 3.
Can you list it in more details to substantiate why "it is the best by a long margin"? Can you share with us what can Ipad do that Android can't? Can you share with us what Ipad can do better than Android? Are you sure you aren't just buying into Apple's hype?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#20 Post by Lobster »

Can you list it in more details to substantiate why "it is the best by a long margin"?
:)

It works and feels better, more complete, more thought out.
Went through review after review and comparison. The reviewers came to the same conclusion.
Can you share with us what can Ipad do that Android can't?

Work fast, securely, without fuss, consistently better than Android. See previous point.
Are you sure you aren't just buying into Apple's hype?
Partly.
We all like to be bitten on occasion . . . :)
The retina display is excellent. No doubt similar displays for Android hardware will appear soon enough.
The apps (I only use free apps) are checked so I do not have to worry about Android scam apps. My Android phone needed attention when it got hijacked.

The new ipad camera and video is excellent. The battery works. I can get cheap Ipad accessories from the £1 store.
Upgrading the OS (sometime this month) involves touching a screen button. Already did that once. Will Android updates be as easy? No.
I know the arguments for and against. In a few months time I might be tempted by an Ipad mini or a 7" Android device. Really I want e-ink but a kindle or fire is not sufficient.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406688,00.asp

In terms of Puppy, I use the Ipad as a portable computer for reading pages or the recent video vid (that is built in and uploads straight to youtube).
I do not want to hunt or fiddle with a tablet when using Puppi SAP - which requires full attention.
http://youtu.be/KptuW92krmQ

I suggest you get both and find which one you use in practice. :wink:

So I want no niggles from the tablet. In real use the little inconsistencies make a huge experiential difference.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)