How to use Precise Puppy's 5.6.1 .sfs.delta file?

Booting, installing, newbie
davec60

How to use Precise Puppy's 5.6.1 .sfs.delta file?

#1 Post by davec60 »

Hi,
I have Puppy Precise 5.5 and use it as a 'frugal' rather than permanent install (ie. no separate save file)
When I noticed that Precise 5.5 had been updated to 5.6.1 and being on a dial-up with limited mb's, I decided to download 'devx_precise_5.5.sfs__devx_precise_5.6.1.sfs.delta' in the hope that I could simply use it to upgrade the .sfs file from 5.5 to a .sfs file based on 5.6.1

I have tried using the xdelta file difference manager but have had no luck with it.
Have I downloaded the wrong file?
Is it actually possible to do what I was hoping to do?
If so, what is it that I need to do with that .sfs.delta file to make use of it?
Thanks

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:?: I'm not sure Dave.. Have you come across this post?

Bigpup's page >> "Various ways to install Puppy Linux"

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

Wrong file? Possibly ..

The devx sfs (and matching delta to upgrade a previous version of the devx) is mainly for a development/compiling environment as an add-on sfs, it's not the primary basic sfs as included in the iso. To upgrade your precise to latest version, use the appropriate delta file for the iso. I usually check the md5 (both the delta and finished/built result, either sfs or iso) manually as well before using them.

Delta files are a godsend to folks on dialup, once you get used to how they work :)