USB 1.1 unmounting unexpectedly (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
gambia

USB 1.1 unmounting unexpectedly (Solved)

#1 Post by gambia »

Hi everyone,
I'm a new user to Puppy and my PC is pentium 3 128 RAM and 30 GB hard disk. I tried installing both frugal and full install of puppy, but everytime I plug in a usb flash drive or other storage device that connect via USB, it gets unmounted automatically while I'm transferring data. Any idea to fix this? Thank you.

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

Hi, gambia,
Welcome to the Puppy forum. To start the ball rolling, which version of Puppy are you using? With reference to the USB devices, are they series 1.1. or, series 2.0? Is this a direct connection to the USB socket, or do you use a hub? Unmounted 'automatically' while transferring data: Is this immediate, or is there a time-delay involved? How large is the data transferred? Seeing the 128 megs of RAM: have you created a swap-partition or swap file?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Gambia, I've had similar problems with certain USB sockets. It seemed to be caused by a bad connection in the socket. There's nothing the operating system can do about that. Do all the USB sockets in your computer do the same thing, or just this one?

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

I agree it will be a hardware issue, but FWIW I find that it is more complicated than just a bad socket. Some devices seem much more reliable than others (but they still tend to work find if I plug them into a USB1.1 socket rather than a USB2), and I can trigger the problem fairly reliably by plugging in or unplugging another device, or by scanning on my multifunction printer. Personally I suspect there's an issue somewhere in my system with a voltage that is slightly too low, or is unstable, or something like that. But I have no real reason to suspect this :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Power supplies are one of the things that can slowly go bad.
Data and power cable connections can work loose.
Dust bunnies in a computer can cause some strange things to happen.
If you have young children, do not overlook what they could have done to a USB port.
Bent connection pins, dirt, something stuck in USB port, etc...
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

slavvo67

#6 Post by slavvo67 »

USB Issues:

I've been having USB problems, too with an old Dell I've been using. USB drives have not been my friends over the years but I do think there might be an unknown Puppy issue out there, as well.

For example, the new Quirky has been giving me some USB (on and off) boot problems but the Tahr has worked reliably. I'm wondering if Barry noticed something and made a change in Tahr to fix some unknown issues.

I'm just throwing it out there to see if anyone else is sitting with similar issues. It could be just a user thing, again... :roll:

r__hughes

#7 Post by r__hughes »

The last time I had problems with the dreaded disappearing USB icons was with my old Dell 610 laptop. I was using a 4-USB hub and wasn't using a power cord. Each of the 4 usbs had 2 partitions (one fat and one ex2 with puppy).

Over the space of several months I bagan to get random usb disappearances from the 8 showing on the desktop. The problem always happened when the laptop was getting hot (ie been on for about 30mins & when I was transferring files between the 8 usb partitions). Everything returned to normal if the laptop was switched off and allowed to cool.

I eventually found that the laptop power supply had been overexerted by the current drain (over an amp) when I had 4 USBs in a hub and wasn't using external power.

With my 'new' Dell 630 laptop I always use the AC power cable if I have more than 1 USB connected and so far, no problems.

So, if you have a disappearing USB problem it's probably due to inadequate 5VDC from the power supply.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

Disco Makberto

#8 Post by Disco Makberto »

Gambia, if your problem is related to power inadequacies, and I think it is, try using something similar to "PCD Universal Y Adapter USB Data Cable with Two Male and One Female Connector". This cable has two USB male ends on one side: one end to connect to one of your USB ports, and this end is used for data and default power; then, we have the other male end that you connect to a spare USB port, and this end is used for power only to supply extra power. At the other side of the cable there is a single USB female, and this one is used to connect your USB device.

Gambia, when you solve your situation, please post back to let us know.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

I have an external hard drive with an AC power adaptor which suffers from disconnects on my main machine. Does anyone know if voltage issues could still be a problem in cases like this?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Disco Makberto

#10 Post by Disco Makberto »

Disciple, does this happen on your main machine only? What is the behavior if you use a different port on your main machine? What happens if you use a different machine or even a different OS?

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

I don't think gambia is coming back. :? I just re-read his post and saw that his computer has only 128 MB of RAM. This could cause problems.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

Disco Makberto wrote:Disciple, does this happen on your main machine only?
Yes.
What is the behavior if you use a different port on your main machine?
The same. But not if I use the USB1.1 ports.
What happens if you use a different machine or even a different OS?
Haven't got another OS installed which reads ext4 ;)

Hmmm, now my internal hard drive has died. From the way it died, it seemed like either the motherboard is faulty and that caused the failure, or the faulty hard drive was upsetting the motherboard. It will be interesting to see if the USB problems continue without that drive.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

Flash wrote:I don't think gambia is coming back. :? I just re-read his post and saw that his computer has only 128 MB of RAM. This could cause problems.
If he comes back, and is by any chance in NZ, I offer him more ram :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gambia

Re: USB unmounting unexpectedly

#14 Post by gambia »

Hey! I'm back!!! (not in NZ ;-)). It's a lucid 528 and USB 1.1. This happens only when I read or write. Transferring size would even be 1 kb. I don't use a hub. It's direct connection.
Last edited by gambia on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 02:37, edited 2 times in total.

gambia

Re: USB unmounting unexpectedly

#15 Post by gambia »

Sorry I was extremely busy with my professor and had no time to return. I tried everything but nothing works.

8-bit

#16 Post by 8-bit »

After mounting the USB drive, were you trying to copy files using Drag_and_Drop between windows?
You might try opening a terminal and typing "copy /root/myfile /mnt/[name of mounted USB device]/myfile"

Then see if any errors appear in the terminal.

Disco Makberto

#17 Post by Disco Makberto »

Disciple, you might want to try a USB power amplifier, something similar to Leguang S9. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
D-mak

gambia

#18 Post by gambia »

I installed puppy by windows installer and now everything works fine. I think that was a bug.
Last edited by gambia on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

Is it otherwise the same version of puppy?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gambia

#20 Post by gambia »

Yes. It says lucid 528