Woof Alpha 5

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: iso

#41 Post by Flash »

tubby wrote:I have tried to burn a new iso, i assume you have to remaster to allow Burniso2cd to work. ...
As far as I know, Burniso2cd will burn any iso file. If the resulting DVD won't boot, it's not Burniso2cd's fault.

Or did I misunderstand what you said?

tubby

burniso

#42 Post by tubby »

I have no problem with the program, but to get an iso of my boot cd surely i have to remaster or am i missing something?.
My problem is with remastering, my build hangs on the flash screen of remaster.
At this moment i am posting on a full install of my dpup build loaded onto a bootable usb drive, xorg works as well as it does on my iso cd.
Strange that i cannot get a working xorg on a full harddrive install.

mysticmarks

#43 Post by mysticmarks »

Building a slack version went well with the rc7 kernel. gparted was broken though, it was missing libparted-1.8.so.8. I wonder if it might help if the scripts took full ownership as root through the first 2 scripts and assigned ownership back prior to building the packages with script 3?

@ BarryK- i noticed for the first time that the save file is now unioned BEFORE the pup.sfs , i understand this must have been done to ensure that the integrity of the base system is kept, but this makes it impossible to change the base sfs and keep the save file because it gives an error on the incorrect base. when up until now i was always able to use any save file with any base which was extremely functional.

iarda

no more alpha5

#44 Post by iarda »

Hi refresh! tehre's no more alpha5... jump to alpha6 upup466...
go for new!

puppyluvr

#45 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
because it gives an error on the incorrect base
Ah Hah......Thank You.....

mysticmarks

Re: no more alpha5

#46 Post by mysticmarks »

iarda wrote:Hi refresh! tehre's no more alpha5... jump to alpha6 upup466...
go for new!
I do hope you enjoy upup alpha 6, but im here about woof alpha 5 which is currently all Barry has made available. As soon as 6 is out, i will surely be there to help plug away at it.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#47 Post by Béèm »

mysticmarks wrote:
go for new!
I do hope you enjoy upup alpha 6, but im here about woof alpha 5 which is currently all Barry has made available. As soon as 6 is out, i will surely be there to help plug away at it.
The alpha6 is out since +/- may 01 and the alpha 07 will be available very soon (a day or 2)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

mysticmarks

#48 Post by mysticmarks »

Béèm wrote:
mysticmarks wrote:
go for new!
The alpha6 is out since +/- may 01 and the alpha 07 will be available very soon (a day or 2)
I stand corrected, thank you both. It figures though. Just like a real puppy. Take your eyes off of em' for one second, and the little bastard takes off ahead of you. (or chews the living hell out of a shoe) :wink: lol

mysticmarks

#49 Post by mysticmarks »

Actually, barry stated on his blog that alpha 6 of Woof is still in his hands. I downloaded upup466 and devx, but have built a debian build prior to that. My Debian build seems much stronger AND is definetly faster than upup(tested on 4 machines). All of the icons display appropriately, and i have not found any big problems(yet). However, for whatever reason, my wireless connection will drop and have to be reinitiated at random intervals. this did not happen in 4.2 or 4.1x or 2.x (skipped 3.x)

@BarryK- I think that you may run into some issues with using the ubuntu packages because of ubuntus default priveleges. I have built slack, ubuntu, and debian. No need to go on about upup, but slack packages install and run quite well, deb build is the quickest of the bunch, and seems to build very well in contrast.
I have a sugestion as well for woof. I see that a good amount of problems with apps is from missing libs. What about building a lib tarball, so the build script can pull libs from a temp unpack of it when running the dep check? I thought it would make sense, maybe not. :roll: :wink: