need Android app to open geany files

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

#21 Post by nubc »

It's a common issue. Has to do with permissions, syntax, USB connection, USB enabling affecting debugging, etc. Question: How does one turn off USB storage in Android?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8854 ... on-android

@Semme
I am very pleased just to be able to view geany text files. Much appreciation.

My smartphone has three browsers. One is more or less default, called Browser, and has a blue and gray globe icon in Apps. The other two are Chrome, which was pre-installed, and Firefox, which I installed. What is the name of the default browser, with the blue/gray globe icon? (I don't believe it is Chrome, because when I call Task Manager, both Chrome and Browser are listed, separately.) EDIT: I was about to say that I like this browser, but then I read this:
https://community.rapid7.com/community/ ... -2014-6041

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

Are you still wanting to know how to disable USB storage?

As for browsers, they're all one click uninstalls from settings.

With the exception of an occasional borked post submission, Opera Mini's great for this forum.

Really though, there are literally TONS I haven't tried.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

nubc

#23 Post by nubc »

Yes, it's possible that geany files can't be edited when USB storage is enabled. That's one possible solution mentioned in the forum. So I would like to know how to disable USB storage, even if the procedure is simple and obvious, like pulling the plug out.

How to disable USB storage mode on Android
http://thehacklist.blogspot.com/2012/11 ... de-on.html

Meh, still getting the error, after changing USB mode to charging only.

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

One way around this is to edit your file "on device," then move it to external storage.

Yeah, I know it's not convenient, but I think some of those other methods are assuming a rooted device.

Do I think your device is rooted?

Not a chance!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

I'll know more once I get back on my tethered connection..

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

:mrgreen: Hell bent for leather?

Here's a good search phrase in the meantime >> "permission denied on external sd card android kitkat"

:D Think we'll have this solved sometime later?

I'm fairly confident..

gcmartin

To takea screen shot and sharing content on anyone's LAN

#27 Post by gcmartin »

On many/most Androids, you can take a screenshot by merely swiping your hand across the screen from right to left.

Another item which might be useful in using ES is that instead of transferring files from PCs to Androids, you would merely open the PC's file from ES . To do so, your PC (ie. Windows/Apple/Linux) must have shared the file/folder to your LAN so that ES can see them.

Also, any files/content you have on your Android can be shared across your LAN same as you do with Windows/Apple/Linux PCs.

This info may be helpful.

nubc

#28 Post by nubc »

problem due to emulation:
I have observed this once when running the application inside the emulator. In the emulator settings, you need to specify the size of external storage ("SD Card") properly. By default, the "external storage" field is empty, and that probably means there is no such device and EACCES is thrown even if permissions are granted in the manifest.
problem due to syntax:
I had the same problem... The <uses-permission was in the wrong place. This is right:

<application>

</application>

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>
</manifest>

The uses-permission tag needs to be outside the application tag.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8854 ... on-android

Semme

#29 Post by Semme »

Chill GC, your info's late.

==

Nubc, I've read all that and it's not the way to go.

Did you bother to Google my search phrase?

nubc

#30 Post by nubc »

I googled "permission denied on external sd card android kitkat" and the issue appears to be a bug starting with Android 4.4, attributable to recent changes in security policy/permissions re semi-permanent vs transient external storage devices. New Google Policy: Write permission is granted only to semi-permanent external storage devices (SD card), and not to transient storage (USB mass storage). Is this how you read it, Semme?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2240 ... -2-version

Okay, if that's so, what's the problem with writing to an SD card? Maybe, because the data location is emulated, Android can't see that the data is on semi-permanent external storage?
Last edited by nubc on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.

grump

#31 Post by grump »

Just now I opened Geany, File, New then cut and pasted the contents of a post in this thread, Then Document, line wrap before saving it as "geany_file" with no extension.

I copied the file into my shared network storage (a USB in the wireless modem/router), then with my phone (kitkat 4.4.1) opened ES File Explorer, browsed to the network storage (at the the bottom of ES - Windows, Network folder etc etc, found the file, tapped on it - selected 'Open as ... text" and it opened with no fuss.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-07-01-09-20-06.png
Screenshot of my android phone - &quot;geany_file&quot; open in ES File Explorer
(130.67 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

gcmartin

#32 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Grump. My TV is Android 4.2.2. I have used ES for that very purpose for couple years for opening and editing any *.txt files I have on NAS. Thanks for confirming that your phone allows same.

Nice. ... very nice!

grump

#33 Post by grump »

I realised that i opened that file while it was on the network share so i downloaded it into the phone sd card and tried opening it there. ES offered to open in in various apps this time a different dialog to when it was on the share.

I used the built in MyFiles and got the message that the OP got ... but it opened ok with ES.

Send from my phone.

Semme

#34 Post by Semme »

:twisted: Hey rocket boyz, you tell me if what Nubc is after is possible *without* being rooted..

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

I know of no root requirement for ES on any Android. I do not have any rooted Androids at this time. ES works as described, herein. Actually, ES is a rather useful utility. If the Digital Rights Alliance did NOT exist, its services would probably be in Android, OOTB,

Hope this is helpful

nubc

#36 Post by nubc »

Am I reading grump's post correctly? It sounds like the target geany file does not reside on the SD card, rather, it's on a USB drive connected to modem/router. Just to be clear, it's my objective to carry the info (geany text files) with me, on my smartphone.

grump

#37 Post by grump »

You are reading my first post correctly - but I realised my mistake, copied it into the phone' SD card and tried again, as I described in my second post.

With the geany file in the phone storage the MyFiles app would not open it IF THE FILE HAS NO EXTENSION, but will open it IF THE FILE HAS A TXT EXTENSION.

If I use ES File Explorer to look at the file, it opens it whether or not it has a .txt extension.

How did you copy your files into your phone? Just curious.

nubc

#38 Post by nubc »

To make file transfers, PC to phone, I use a step-wise procedure, described here.
The browse function on ES File Explorer is not as straightforward as QuickEdit, so it wasn't easy to find the geany folder on /storage/external_SD. In fact, I did not locate the geany folder the first time I installed ES, so I (wrongly) assumed ES did not see the folder. It's sorta pot luck to find the folder with the browse function, so I use Search; then after it's located I can quickly access it in History. When I look at the geany files with ES File Explorer, there is a big question mark (?) on each file. Nevertheless, the files do open and show text, and I will say that the default font for ES is better than QuickEdit.

Yep, geany file does open in resident File Manager, when .txt file extension is added. But frankly, I don't want to add the file extension for aesthetic reasons, and also it would be a PITA to add a file extension to 144 files. Good thing to have QuickEdit and ES File Explorer to open geany files.

Semme

#39 Post by Semme »

Yeah, but de facto, neither app can open, edit, then save to the SD memory card without being rooted.

I've already outlined, albeit cumbersome, one workaround that specifically addresses Nubc's initial request.

nubc

#40 Post by nubc »

One workaround is to copy or move the file to the internal drive, such as to emulated My Documents, perform the edit there, and then move it back to the external SD. I just tried it using ES File Explorer and the edit worked, with no complaints or errors. Having trouble moving files with QuickEdit.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 01 Jul 2015, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.